Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers

I was trying to use the app to follow my dog while playing catch. But when the dog left the frame the camera was left tracking the spot on the floor where the dog was standing. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do you have a sample video of the issue ? It could be that lighting was low or your phone/ tablet is a lower powered device which may have caused tracking to slow down. Let me know if you can share a video of the failure by any chance.

Thanks!

Update:

Although I mentioned earlier that we had closed the beta, we sent out a bonus round of more beta invites to all you folks who signed up after. I hope you guys enjoy the beta while we continue to prep the public version of Vertical Studio.

Cheers!
Neil
Vertical

Tried it out today, your app is amazing. Only flew for 5 mins as it was windy. Will try again this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Neil Mathew
Do you have a sample video of the issue ? It could be that lighting was low or your phone/ tablet is a lower powered device which may have caused tracking to slow down. Let me know if you can share a video of the failure by any chance.

Crap I lost the video, weather hasn't been great. I'll have to shoot again.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Tried it out today, your app is amazing. Only flew for 5 mins as it was windy. Will try again this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks @fusionvi. I hope you continue to have a good experience with it and if at anytime you find something missing, or not working well please don't hesitate to reach out to us in any way. We want to keep this feedback loop between you guys and us going always.

You can reach us at Vertical, email us at [email protected] or even just send a live chat from the home page (Vertical - EPIC Aerial Filming)

Cheers,
Neil

Reactions: fusionvi
Hi Phantom Pilots,

We’re Vertical, a start-up in the Bay Area and we're looking for beta testers for our app Vertical Studio.

One of our biggest problems with aerial video was that filming landscapes and panoramas is easy, but filming close-up shots of stuff in action is ridiculously complicated. Only the most professional studios with large drones and camera crews seem to be able to film those sweet complex action shots.

So we've built Vertical Studio. An app for DJI Phantom and Inspire that lets you film all those difficult tracking shots with a simple touch interface. How do we do it ? Well, we use some nifty computer vision software we’ve been building for over a year and pack it all into your Android or iOS device so you can auto-track anything your drone sees - without any GPS or tracking beacons. Just click on stuff in your video feed and let Vertical Studio handle the rest.

The best way to explain Vertical Studio is probably with this video.

If you’re interested in beta testing, we’d love it if you could head over to our website (Vertical - EPIC Aerial Filming) and take a minute to sign-up for either the Android or iOS beta. It will help us better manage our beta tests. The Android beta is available now, but the iOS beta should be ready in a few days.

Vertical Studio is compatible with DJI Phantom 3 (Pro, Advanced) and DJI Inspire.

And if you have any questions or initial thoughts about Vertical Studio, do let us know in the forum or email us at [email protected].

Cheers!
Neil
www.vertical.ai
Great stuff! I've been trying to figure out the best way to track a water skier down a competition slalom course instead of simply following the boat. Also catching and following ski jumpers. This will be the ticket. Waiting for the iOS version.

Neil,

What is the minimum FW version needed for the app?

Its obviously going to be a while until my 1.4+ P3A comes back from DJI. I have a P3P thats 1.1.9 and I am extremely hesitent to put newer FW in it due to all the battery issues and GEO.

This was there area where I had "Intense Electromagnetic Activity" No bridges, houses, HV wires etc.

Good2.JPG

Compass Error of the weird kind.

Ok after the weird fly away type of event that happened the other day I thought id keep it local. Returning to my old spot where I have not had problems before.

We are just on the edge of Storm Henry's passing so it gets a bit gusty. I did all the usual checks, this time really ensuring the battery and SD card were in. First thing I noticed was the green for the camera and the red arrow were pointing the opposite way to where they were truly pointing on the ground. I swithed off the app and re-started it. This time it looked right. I got a green to fly so I took off. Did a few runs then I noticed the direction was wrong again. Also had a brief RC signal low, but then it went back to normal. Taking no chances I landed this time.

So I went into Compass Calibration, could not do any harm. Did the usual 360* dance around and on the side. Got the message "Cannot calibrate due to intense Electro Magnetic Activity." I have never heard of anyone even mentioning that message. The Green Safe To Fly went into Fly none GPS mode. I was in the middle of a field, will put up a picture, no cars buildings even my phone was switched off and lay in the rucksack. Then I had a thought. Within 2-3 miles at the most is the RRE Royal Radar Establishment. Top secret stuff goes on there. Its where radar was developed in the second world war. Could it be that? Tried several times to do the compass on the fourth try it worked. So I flew again.

What happens if the controller goes off?

Often wondered what would happen if the RC lost control of the Heli. I took it up to around 40 feet got brave and turned off the controller. .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... it rose into the air .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. then headed my way and started to descend. Yes it seemed like ages......... So i then switched on the controller. The app came back up where I had left it. But the app said "disconnected" as it came lower and lower I tried the "up" and the Heli responded so obviously it was not that disconnected. I managed to turn off the props. Start them up again. Still showing disconnected. For the next long mins I tried everything I could think of to regain connection. Heli battery off, RC off, tablet off, all off and on again in different combinations. Tried so many I do not know which one of them worked. Eventually it did. Flew a bit more with no problems.

So the questions are 1. What was the intense Magnetic Interference. 2. What is the best was to re-connect after you have switched off and back on again?

Your question is unrelated to Vertical Studio, and I'm afraid I can't help you here.

Reactions: Frankc
Neil,

What is the minimum FW version needed for the app?

Its obviously going to be a while until my 1.4+ P3A comes back from DJI. I have a P3P thats 1.1.9 and I am extremely hesitent to put newer FW in it due to all the battery issues and GEO.

This is a tricky question as we're affected by all DJI's issues. I can't say what the minimum firmware version is because we haven't tested all of them. But we suggest that you always run the latest firmware.

Hi guys,

Some of you have expressed a concern about our policy regarding early beta testers as we transition from beta testing to a production ready version of Vertical Studio. Let me clarify those issues here.

Firstly, I want to say that we do appreciate the amount of effort some of you have put into giving us valuable feedback and the risk you have taken with flying VS at an early stage in our development. We'd like to thank you all for that.

Here's how we plan to move forward. When Vertical Studio launches out of beta, we will be launching two parallel apps - Vertical Studio (the public version) and Vertical Studio Beta (the private beta version).

The current beta app you have installed will convert to the public version of Vertical Studio. However, we will privately send out install instructions to our current beta testers for the new Vertical Studio Beta - which will be a completely free version with all the features in Vertical Studio Professional. The idea is that this version will always be at the bleeding edge of our product development and you guys will have the opportunity to try all our new features earlier than release for as long as you choose to stay in the beta program.

Our initial beta program got over 2000 signups and we allowed a large number of users to try VS without a many expectations on feedback and testing. Still, we're really humbled that so many of you took the time to give us such incredible feedback. The next Beta program is going to be a little more selective. We're going to send out the next batch of permanent beta invites to our current beta users that have given us any sort of feedback on Vertical Studio, either here, on our forum, on youtube or via email. We will also be sending out guidelines for membership in the permanent beta program. We appreciate all your efforts and we'd like you guys to be a part of the Vertical Community for years to come.

I hope this clarifies your issues and we're really excited to work with you all as we grow. If you have any questions - please let me know at [email protected].

Reactions: StevenQX
We just sent out a bonus round of beta invites to folks that signed up until yesterday. If you've signed up for the beta you should have received a beta invite :)
That was me! Thanks, I thought I was too late!

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is a tricky question as we're affected by all DJI's issues. I can't say what the minimum firmware version is because we haven't tested all of them. But we suggest that you always run the latest firmware.

I realize that has to be your "official" stance. But I have a P3P with 1.1.9. Do you use any of the advanced API that came in 1.4+? I suppose I could just go see if it works.

My P3A had 1.4+ on it when I sent it in for RMA. I put a note on it asking them to roll it back to 1.1.9 so both phantoms match but I doubt they will do it and I bet they will put the newest on it just as a Merry Christmas present.

I won't be able to test this until next week. Will Beta be over by than?

The beta will be most likely be over by the end of Feb. But it might take a little longer to get the pro version completed. We'll basically keep the current beta open until the pro version goes live, and then switch to the new system, as mentioned above.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart