Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers

I Finally got out today to test the App out and it works pretty good but it got dark quick and had trouble keeping up in the dark. I have One issue though after Installing the App on my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 with latest OS DJI GO Now does not Work and Will not recognize my P3. I tried hitting Force Stop Vertical Studio to see if it would Re enable DJI GO and it did not. I need to access DJI GO for settings that are not available in VS. Please advise

Reactions: Neil Mathew
Try clearing app defaults in the android application settings. Pretty sure you've set the VS app as the default app for USB connections.
Go to Android settings / application manager then click on DJI go and press Clear defaults under the 'launch by default' heading.
If you are going to use both apps then when you plug in the controller to your android never press 'always' just press 'just this once'

Do you mean DJI GO i am not using Litchi. In my Default Apps there is no DJI GO or Vertical Studio that was also something i checked,

Sorry I just edited my reply. I meant VS. I used to have these issues when switching between apps. I cleared the default launch in each app I was using and then when I plug in the usb cable I'm asked which app I want to launch. you getting that pop-up asking which app you want to launch? Or are you opening up the app before plugging in the cable?

I believe that pop up came up only Once. I May try Uninstalling DJI GO an reinstalling to get that Pop up again so it will be Set as Default. VS pops up now when my controller and drone are on.

DownUnder, any idea's on my issue?

Sorry I just edited my reply. I meant VS. I used to have these issues when switching between apps. I cleared the default launch in each app I was using and then when I plug in the usb cable I'm asked which app I want to launch. you getting that pop-up asking which app you want to launch? Or are you opening up the app before plugging in the cable?
You seem to be pretty versed on this new app. Any help would be great, and much appreciated!

dmarlin247 - Pretty sure you just need to clear the 'launch defaults' in both VS and DJI GO to fix this issue. If you never get the option to choose which app you open when you plug in the cable the problem lies with the 'launch defaults' being set to one of the apps. If that pop-up only came up once then I am guessing you clicked 'always' instead of 'just once' When using multiple ground station apps you need to press the 'just once' prompt

Nathan1994 - Your problem with the video. New one on me. This problem is only with VS or other ground station apps too?
If it's only VS then I have no idea. If it's all apps then it looks like a hardware fault.

All other apps I use, DJI Go, Litchi, and Hivemapper have no issues with video feed/color. They all look perfect. The feed from Vertical looks way off.

Probably best answered by the development team. Sound like a device compatible issue. What android device you running? Not sure if you can try changing the hardware encoding option. See what VS say.

I know in an APP I use called Litchi there are video problems solved by a setting called "Video Decoding" Mine is set to "Hardware (Android 6)"
I don't think this is a persistent setting and it only relative to the Litchi APP. There are no options in the VS APP. It's still in Beta and I guess there are issues left to iron out.

Hi Neil, have applied twice but still no response. I am in the UK is this an exemption from this trial?
Hi Ian. Apologies for the late response. I've sent out confirmation emails to the next batch of Android signups and I see your registration. You should have received an email with a download link for Vertical Studio Android. Let me know if that works for you.

If you go into Settings and Apps there is a button for some apps that allows you to Move to SD Card. It doesn't move the whole app there but it does move part of it. For example the DJI GO app is 190 megs of which 140 is on the device and 50 is on the sd card. Every bit helps but VS is not a huge app so is not a big deal.

Ah. I see what you mean. I thought you meant SD card on the P3. Ok yes, that may be a possibility but like you said, right now the app is just about 30Mb. As we start adding more features and media assets to it I imagine it'll get bigger and at that point this is a great idea. Thanks!

I got my P3P hooked up tonight but the colors on the video feed are all wrong. Any ideas? View attachment 37455
And it may from some glitch that it took those hues from the led's at startup. I took it outside in the dark, and still had the poor feed.

Yep. We know this issue :) Trying to get a fix for the next release. What android device are you running ? We've seen a similar issue so far on the Lenovo A2 7 and the Acer - Iconia 8. Cross platform issues are the worst in android but the issue here is an unrecognized hardware decoding format on a few Android devices. We're thinking of moving everything to software decode - the only problem there is - it's more predictable than hardware decode but it's much more processor intensive. So if you're running an older phone, you might have issues. All this is mainly because we're processing the video and we have to decode it to a format we can use to run vision algorithms as opposed to other apps that can just pipe in DJI's proprietary decoder.

I know in an APP I use called Litchi there are video problems solved by a setting called "Video Decoding" Mine is set to "Hardware (Android 6)"
I don't think this is a persistent setting and it only relative to the Litchi APP. There are no options in the VS APP. It's still in Beta and I guess there are issues left to iron out.

Yep. Caused by an unsupported hardware encoding format used on a few Android devices. We might move everyone to software decode. Ideally I don't want users to have to pick decode format because it's irrelevant to the functionality - it just needs to work. So maybe we'll try to build an auto-detector to move people from either the software or hardware decode ? Does DJI GO work well on all android devices ? It's strange because they have a different proprietary decoder that they haven't made available to us because we're doing image processing on the video and their SDK was never built for that.

I Finally got out today to test the App out and it works pretty good but it got dark quick and had trouble keeping up in the dark. I have One issue though after Installing the App on my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 with latest OS DJI GO Now does not Work and Will not recognize my P3. I tried hitting Force Stop Vertical Studio to see if it would Re enable DJI GO and it did not. I need to access DJI GO for settings that are not available in VS. Please advise

Try clearing app defaults in the android application settings. Pretty sure you've set the VS app as the default app for USB connections.
Go to Android settings / application manager then click on DJI go and press Clear defaults under the 'launch by default' heading.
If you are going to use both apps then when you plug in the controller to your android never press 'always' just press 'just this once'

Hi guys, This is an annoying issue we're trying to get around as well. Basically DJI GO has issues connecting to the P3 camera unless you do what @DownUnder said and clear app defaults. However, if you set DJI GO as a "Always" in the USB launch popup - VS still opens up and connects to the camera fine. I'm going to add this update to the instructions on the forum. If you're still having issues, you can send me an email at [email protected] and I'll walk you through the fix.

Cheers!

The app doesn't do too well when tracking in the dark mainly because it needs generally a nice contrasty image to work well. But try this - increase the exposure compensation in the dark to brighten things up and then try tracking. Generally this works until it gets really dark and then ..well...maybe use a glow stick or something :p

The app doesn't do too well when tracking in the dark mainly because it needs generally a nice contrasty image to work well. But try this - increase the exposure compensation in the dark to brighten things up and then try tracking. Generally this works until it gets really dark and then ..well...maybe use a glow stick or something :p
Thats Actually a good idea, Would it track the light from a glowstick or any other source??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
finestheatingn