Using solar cells to charge the Phantom batteries in mid flight.

Does anyone think this can be done. I don`t see why not. I haven`t purchased my Phantom yet so I`m really a newbie. This would make flight extender antennas much more fun to use. The flight wouldn`t out last the power. Need some Techie comments. If I had one I would`ve already tried it. Thanks in advance for the comments.
ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH THE EFFORT. There is not anything to be gained by adding solar cells

Hi everyone,
This has been tested and worked. It has only been tested on a tarot 680pro hexacopter because it is more sofisticated. For proof please search on Instagram for "natexdrone". They claim that these will be available for sale in this year. While it dosnt offer unlimited flight times, it does offer extended flight times. It's worth checking out.

Hi everyone,
This has been tested and worked. It has only been tested on a tarot 680pro hexacopter because it is more sofisticated. For proof please search on Instagram for "natexdrone". They claim that these will be available for sale in this year. While it dosnt offer unlimited flight times, it does offer extended flight times. It's worth checking out.

^^ Pretty light on details there at Natex Drone. Their claim doesn't change any of the physics discussed in the thread.
Just because they mocked it up doesn't mean it works.

A Tarot 680 is anything but sophisticated compared to a Inspire or Matrice or even a P3. I see absolutely nothing about any kind of testing or actual results. I see a picture of an old quad with an inadequate solar panel stuck on top. On their facebook page they also claim that they are about to start delivering pizza.
Data or it's BS. By the look of the website, it's BS.
Snake Oil.

Reactions: Fron2233
well the 100w charger puts out 17v at a little over 5a.
your not going to get anywhere near that on the phantom with a few solar cells.
I would agree even if you had the light intensity you wouldn't have the space for the right number cells

Come on folks, Harbor Freight sells a 2 watt solar panel - about the size that would fit on a Phantom - and I use them for keeping misc tractors in misc old grid barns on our properties topped off during the winter.

These produce 100ma at 12 volts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF do you thing 0.1 amp will do when you fly at 20.0 amps????????????? 0.0005% added by solar? GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop posting nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If folks want throw money at this, send me $ 40.00 per panel and I will send you a Harbor Freight 2 watt unit to mount on your Phantom!!!!!!! It is GUARANTEED to CHARGE your battery!!!!!!!!

Keep dreaming OP. The light bulb, the Petrol horse, all pipe dreams that couldn't be achieved. The laws of physics can be defied. Their only boundaries are made by our own limited minds. People consider something to be impossible because they don't understand how to achieve it. People who say it can't be done should not be allowed to stand in the way of others who are doing it.
People consider impossible things possible because they don't understand the principles of physics.
Ignorance of the laws of physics doesn't get you an exemption.

Reactions: PrecisionAeroworks
Hi everyone,
They used the Tarot because it was big enough to fit the panel.
Some questions you should be looking at before you fall for this con.
The solar panel generates 15 watts - how much power are the motors drawing?
What tiny percentage of power use could the solar panel contribute?
How much extra power would be needed to lift the extra weight or push the additional wind resistance of the panel?

The machine would probably fly better and longer without the solar panel attached.

Reactions: yorlik
Hi everyone,

approx 8x10" (80sq"), 88ea .5v cells, so likely 44 in two parallel paths for max 22v output in full sun.

checking size of 20watt panels for sale elsewhere:
- 13.5x18.5" (250sq")
- 10.75x24" (258sq")

15watt panels:
- 14.3x14.6" (209sq")

5watt panels:
- 12.44x12.44" (155sq")

1.5watt panel:
- 13.75*4.75" (50sq")

So first off, their CLAIM of 20watt is totally bogus - it is capable of approx 3 watts max output. Their constant claim they are the number one supplier to "military countries," whatever THAT is, also has to be similarly bogus.

Considering hovering this size drone requires approx. 187 watts, that means the extended time - ignoring the additional power require to lift the added solar panel, will be 3/187= 1.6% longer flight time.

So this or any other similar solar panel, might increase a 15minute flight time to --- AN ADDITIONAL 14 SECONDS! YAE!

As others have said, the added weight probably negates even this.

Reactions: Meta4
People consider impossible things possible because they don't understand the principles of physics.
Ignorance of the laws of physics doesn't get you an exemption.

The laws of physics were dreamed up by man. Man is flawed. Any logical person would be forced to assume that the 'laws of physics' would therefore be flawed as well. Name calling doesn't help get your point across Hoss. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Its just a friendly discussion.

The laws of physics were dreamed up by man. Man is flawed. Any logical person would be forced to assume that the 'laws of physics' would therefore be flawed as well. Name calling doesn't help get your point across Hoss. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Its just a friendly discussion.
1. If you think that the laws of physics are flawed simply because not all people are perfect, you're sadly mistaken and don't understand how these laws were developed.
2. Your logic is very seriously flawed
3. There was no name calling.
4. If you want to ignore the laws of physics, you'll find that they don't just go away.

1. If you think that the laws of physics are flawed simply because not all people are perfect, you're sadly mistaken and don't understand how these laws were developed.
2. Your logic is very seriously flawed
3. There was no name calling.
4. If you want to ignore the laws of physics, you'll find that they don't just go away.

1. I think they are flawed, not simply just because people are not perfect, but because we do not fully understand things as we think we do. If you want to keep thinking that black is black, and white is white, and that's it, then by all means, carry on. Seems boring but to each their own.

2. YOUR logic is very seriously flawed so neener neener.

3. Stating that I am ignorant to the laws of physics at best, only insinuates your ignorance, or so says my degree but paper is just paper. At worst its a form of personal attack or name calling which is just silly and again, only accents your own ignorance.

4. I got nothing, just wanted to keep stride with your numbered format.

5. I have more numbers than you. Neener neener. :)

I need drones for my experimentation. I am attaching wings to P3 to increase flight times. Can anyone donate if you are not intending to use it?

Principle is very simple. Gliders can remain up in the air for hours without any battery or gas power.

Some kind of miniature stator on each motor to keep the battery charged would be nice. Just like a motorcycle uses to keep the battery charged.

Yes, but the motorcycle gets the energy to charge the battery by burning gasoline. There's no free lunch.

Who is Sherley?

who did you comment to? Your reply is so vague it may apply any of 40 replies so far?

That was humor. It's a reference to the 1980 comedy movie Airplane! with Leslie Nielson. (Surely you can't be serious. I am serious ... and don't call me Shirley.) I thought the post was funny, just like most of the physics in this thread!

Reactions: yorlik
not possible with todays technology but solar tech progresses faster than any other tech right now as it should be. there are already nano solar cells in flexible format so covering the top of any drone will not be an issue. only matter is drones are power hungry devices and you need to have very power efficient solar cells to recharge the battery. current efficiency ratio of the solar cells are 10-15%, this needs to be min %50-60 so that the output can feed recharging.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj