Using P3 batteries to charge other devices?

Reaction score
So hear me out on this one..... I"m planning a camping trip and would like to bring my drone. I was wondering if there was a way to use the P3 batteries to charge my iPhone and iPad as well? So I don't haveto carry so many things with me.

Ideally, I could solar charge the P3 batteries and then use use batteries to charge my devices (as well as fly the copter).

Any thoughts?

The biggest danger would be over discharge of the Phantom batteries. This would permanently ruin them.

I guess pulling 5 volts out of the battery shouldn't be very complicated though. Regulating the amperage might me a little tricky. And you couldn't charge you iPhone even once from it. I have a 20000 mAh jumper box that barely charges my S4 once. But the **** thing will jump start a car.

Yeah, I'm reading up on it and it looks like I need a voltage regulator.

It would be great if someone made a chip that would allow us to use a P3 battery to power USB devices.

I would pay money for something like that.

Thanks Fplvert, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to travel with the P3 batteries and want the ability to charge by devices using those batteries. I will not be near a car at that time.

ALSO, I deally I will be charging the batteries using Solar Power (but that is for another thread). :)

there are 12VDC to 5VDC regulated power supplies on ebay which would work, don't worry about the iPhone taking to much current as it has a built in regulator that won't charge higher than 2.2AH. I just use a 10,000mah power bank that recharged with a folding solar panel charger, it will charge my iPhone 6+ 3-4 times or an iPad 2 times. How fast it recharges depends on the solar panel output. A P3 battery cold charge a iPhone about 12-13 times depending on the converter loss.
Here is a 12Vdc to 5Vdc stem down 3A (15 watts) converter that would charge you phone or ipad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339c69ffff
And here is the 10,000mah power bank I have that works great, and a great price too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JM59JPG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Intelligent batts. prevent over-discharge.

Thanks Fplvert, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to travel with the P3 batteries and want the ability to charge by devices using those batteries. I will not be near a car at that time.

ALSO, I deally I will be charging the batteries using Solar Power (but that is for another thread). :)

I do not suggest doing this to your $150 battery. The reason is due to how a LiPo behaves when a very small load is put on for an extended period of time. This will cause either cell 1 or cell 4, depending on how it's wired, to drain at a faster rate than the remaining cells. This means that you could easily damage one cell by over discharging it, even though the other cells are still far from empty. This can be proved simply by leaving your P3 powered on for an extended period of time, without spinning the motors. I doubt it will take very long before you begin to see one of the cells drop below the others. It will also be impossible to detect a depleted cell since you will only have the 4 status lights to rely on and I bet they only use the combined cell voltage to determine how far empty the battery is.

Even if the intelligent LiPo detects when a single cell reaches 0%, you will also most likely be charging a severely out of balance LiPo each and every time.. Which takes much longer to charge, creates unhealthy cells, and degrades the capacity.

I wouldn't hesitate with loads around 5A @ 16v.. But USB charging with 1-2amp @ 5v would equate to the current draw on the LiPo only being around 300-600mA.

+1, also the device more than likely has a low voltage cut off preventing the battery from getting below a set point.
As I said it COULD. I have no idea where the low voltage cutoff is located in the power stream... in the battery or in the Phantom. Considering the balancing is done internally it could be fair to assume the cutoff is internal to the battery. but I would hat to throw away a $150 battery just because I charged my phone!

I guess I could see myself buying the USB charging accessory for emergency situations. I'm envisioning myself going on a 10 mile hike in the middle of no where to do a shoot and looking my cell phone power, but still having the drone batteries.

I just like to know my options.

In reality, i think it would be incredible to go to the middle of nowhere with the drone for a few days or even a week and get some incredible shots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers