Using Goggle Maps for newbies

Reaction score
One the best tools I use for planning a day of flight as a hobbyist is Google Maps. This can help you in a variety of ways before traveling to your destination. Pre-planning my flights with GM has saved me countless hours and gas, by looking all around the area before I arrive. I can sit for hours planning missions at home using Google Maps. Here are some tips.

1. STREET VIEW
Street view is very handy to visit the area and look around to let the "lay of the land". I will often check for parking, confirm the view from an area, or simply look for launch spots. This is especially helpful in neighborhoods where you might park the car and hike to a flight spots with your drone backpack. When choosing a launch site, I find street view handy to determine GATED communities, because there is no street view provided. This is helpful in saving time once I arrive the area, knowing where I can't drive my car, or trigger me to take my ebike along so I ride into the community (sometimes), helpful in beach communities.

2. MEASURING DISTANCE
Google Maps has a great tool I use all the time, "MEASURE DISTANCE". This works in map mode or satellite view mode. To use this, RIGHT CLICK THE MAP where you want to MEASURE FROM. Then click the bottom option that says "MEASURE DISTANCE". Then left click on the map where you want to MEASURE TO. This tool is very handy to predict your ability to fly from your home point to the POI you want to fly to. You can click multiple times to plot a course distance also.
upload_2017-11-19_21-27-43.png

3. GOOGLE SATELLITE VIEW
Satellite view is awesome as we all know. In the lower right corner is the 3D option to look at the terrain in a 3D perspective, which is very much like flying around in an airplane, but you can get much lower. Just hold down the CNTL key and click and drag to get the hang of things. Drag left and right with CNTL and spin the map around. Using the mouse scroll, zoom in and out for altitude. Looking at mountains, cliffs or valleys of your planned flight location can help you plan your mission, and confirm LOS connections with your desired POIs. You never want to slip behind a mountain during a flight, potentially losing your flight control connection, right? 3D viewing of the area can let you SEE your LOS to confirm the integrity of your flight plan. MEASURING DISTANCE in 3D mode works too, just like 2D mode, as shown below

upload_2017-11-19_21-34-17.png

4. YOUR PLACES
In Google Maps you can create your own records in Google Maps called "YOUR PLACES". This allows you to mark your flight spots quite accurately post flight, and make notes about each flight area, ranking the area for fun, hassle, scenery, parking, target POIs, etc. Doing this after each trip to fly different areas is a great way to quickly log each flight and highlights. After a year you'll have a nice history of all your missions. This is also handy to share with buddies and exchange flight location ideas, along with what you've learned on each trip. Here's an example. I will cover this subject in more detail in a future post in this thread.
upload_2017-11-19_21-54-18.png

5. WHERE TO EAT!
Fuel is important, so I like to know my options where to eat in the area BEFORE I drive there. Using Google Maps is very helpful to look for restaurants in the area, as you probably already know. Sometimes I will meet flying buddies for breakfast or lunch before flying as a prelude to my afternoon missions, so choosing a good eatery is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Don't forget weather observations. Wind direction perception is important too. Wind speeds/direction at ground level may differ from winds aloft.

Reactions: BigAl07
Here's the fundamentals of creating your own flight history map in Google Maps.

You must have a Google account to do this, and it's free. You must be signed into your Google account before starting the map creation process.

Go to Google Maps.

upload_2017-11-20_16-23-16.png

upload_2017-11-20_16-25-37.png

upload_2017-11-20_16-37-19.png

upload_2017-11-20_16-39-41.png

upload_2017-11-20_16-48-49.png

#11 above brings up this dialog box below, fill in appropriate info.

upload_2017-11-20_16-51-39.png

You're done.

You can go back to your places at any time an add more flight spots to your map and also edit existing map information by clicking the "pencil" icon.

There are lots of ICONs to choose from for each spot you want to mark. I personally like the default PIN POINT icon because it lets me set the location precisely where the pin point is. These pin points can be any color from the choices provided. I usually use GREEN for places I've flown, Orange for POI's to fly to, Blue for future flight spots, and Red for parking locations if it's tricky to park in the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
I might add that by use Mission Hub in Litchi, one can design a mission and export it to Google Earth, then view it there in 3D. It clearly shows the flight path and elevation along the route. The route can zoomed in close to get needed detail about the elevation and possible hazards. From the Mission Hub, if the user is logged into the Litchi app, the waypoint flights can be imported to the drone and flown easily, after careful verification of the waypoints, of course. Very useful tool in a great app!

Good flying
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik