Using filters

Reaction score
I just got the Polar 3 pack the the CP, ND4 and ND8 and I've got a couple of quick questions:

1. should I be taking off the stock UV filter when using one of these filters?
2. which filter would be best at sunset?
3. and which would be best with ocean/water in the scene?

Thanks!

Did you buy screw-on filters or slide-on filters?

The following chart shows the filters that generally work well for specific light conditions or times of day:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

You should keep the stock UV filter on when using slide-on filters. The set you purchased is not going to be too useful when shooting video in normal daylight conditions over water. The Cinema-V Polar Pro filters would be a better choice for shooting scenes over water during the day. They are screw-on filters -- and, I'm assuming you do not have a P3S.

Last edited:
You don't say if you are shooting video or stills. For video on my P3A, I find that here in central Ohio on a bright sunny day, an ND 8 gives me the best picture. ISO at 100, shutter at 1/50 and ev at 0. you can't adjust the f/# so these others are what you have to work with. I also turn on the "overexposure alert" (Zebra Stripes) - helps keep track of how things are going.

I have a 4K -- is the lens the same as the 3A and 3Pro for filters? I want the filters to work for both pics and movies. I find that close to sunset there is way too much sun glare that can take over the entire image.

I have a 4K -- is the lens the same as the 3A and 3Pro for filters?
Are you referring to the UV filter or the camera lens?

I find that close to sunset there is way too much sun glare that can take over the entire image.
Where is the glare coming from? The water?

That shot will be tricky depending on which direction the Phantom is facing. Facing away from the sun shouldn't be an issue. When facing directly into the setting sun, try positioning the Phantom at an angle or use a darker ND filter.

Yes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic