Using amplifier with DJI Racing Goggles

Reaction score
I recently picked up the DJI Racing Edition Goggles for use with my P4P-V2
I am NOT impressed by the range that these provide.
My understanding is that the video is directly fed through OcuSync to the goggles through the external antenna. Will adding an amplifier to the external antena like this-
5.8ghz 3w booster/amp
or the dual band one increase the usable range?
I appreciate that this will add to the bulk of the unit but believe utilizing the existing form factor will mitigate any inconvenience.
(I have read the posts on doing the start up with a separate device and switching)

I recently picked up the DJI Racing Edition Goggles for use with my P4P-V2
I am NOT impressed by the range that these provide.
My understanding is that the video is directly fed through OcuSync to the goggles through the external antenna. Will adding an amplifier to the external antena like this-
5.8ghz 3w booster/amp
or the dual band one increase the usable range?
I appreciate that this will add to the bulk of the unit but believe utilizing the existing form factor will mitigate any inconvenience.
(I have read the posts on doing the start up with a separate device and switching)
The goggles pick up the transmitted video downlink through its own antenna (located in the headband). I've never read or heard of anyone amplifying the goggle transmitter / receiver.

What type of ranges are you seeing that makes you disappointed? Are you flying in a radio congested area? What are your radio setting set to in the DJI App? Do you have good signal line of sight when flying?

Thanks for responding.
The Racing Edition has a separate/external detachable antenna located on top of the glasses. these are not used of the video feed?

Thanks for responding.
The Racing Edition has a separate/external detachable antenna located on top of the glasses. these are not used of the video feed?
Yeah, sorry, I didn't expand further:

The detachable "mushroom" antenna is only used for the 5.8GHz band/feed while the one in the headband is 2.4Ghz band/feed. If you're flying your V2 in the default dual band mode; Depending on which channel it picks, the goggles will use the corresponding antenna.

You could try locking the your phantom into 5.8G only and replace the stock mushroom antenna with an aftermarket unit and see if that helps. But yeah, there's alot of factors that affects radio range like signal line of sight, terrain, background radio noise, hard to diagnose your problem without knowing more of the environment you're flying in?

I've flown my V2 with the RE goggles over 3Km (testing both bands separately with stock gear) without any issues. I could of pushed further but I was satisfied with the results since that's my usual operating range. If the weather gets better I'll run a performance test and see how far I can push it.

Reactions: bill combs

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic