Useful AirMap Airspace Tool Video

Reaction score
This video is really helpful in airspace classes and restrictions. It shows how to use the useful website of
airmap.io

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wow that's a great site... well done. I signed up and will be adding it to my bag of tricks

Pretty cool. I notice that private property of people requesting to be included noflyzone.org database. I wonder if DJI really incorporates that into its firmware.

Okay.. so I'm a little confused. Fantastic resource, but it implies that the 5 mi. no-fly zones mean a cylindical shape within which you must notify the air traffic control tower of your presence. But the DJI information states that these no-fly areas are conical in shape and the no-fly altitude gradually changes as you approach the airport within this 5 mile radius. Are we still supposed to call the tower even if we are under the no-fly area of the cone that DJI is depicting in their marketing materials? And are you simply calling the tower to let them know you are there, or are you calling them to get their permission to be within that 5 mile radius? Sorry, I'm full of questions about this.

DJI no fly zones are made up by DJI. They do not accurately reflect FAA airspace.

It's a nice site but it doesn't show class B/C layers.

Guys, we really need to comply with FAA airspace restrictions. The stuff that DJI is good for situational awareness, but don't put any confidence in it that you are in compliance with FAA rules. For instance, DJI shows that it is fine to fly over the Trinity River in downtown Dallas. But an examination of the airspace shows that is Class B (most restrictive) all the way to the ground. You have to have explicit permission to fly in this airspace and squawk a unique identifier through a transponder, which we cannot do with the Phantom. Therefore, according to the FAA, you can't fly a drone there, not even 10' off the ground. I called Dallas Love Tower the other day to see if I could somehow work around this. I was told 'Not only no, but hell no.'

There are tons of resources online to learn about airspace. Skyvector.com is a great website to reference for airspace around where you want to fly. It will show your phones position relative to the airspace, as well as TFRs.

Cool resource. Looking at the way it draws airspace such as Class B and C, it just draws the areas where that airspace meets the ground. As we are not supposed to be above 400ft AGL then we should only be concerned with that portion of the airspace. This site simplifies things considerably, which is a good thing if you don't have an aviation background.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic