USED Flashlight, found hairline cracks

Reaction score
well, will 3 million feet on "Cloud" I been doing extensive maintenance and started using a high end LED torch to look at/through the legs, last week found some hairline fractures but they were smooth on the surface, but since discovering them ive been watching more closley and sure enough, its now a crack, you can feel it, you might not see it without the flashlight, now that I can feel it that doesnt matter. ill bet some super glue or that glue that hardens with UV ive got some of that, would prolly work, i dont want to send it away, I use it too much, we'll see what they say when they reply. the crack is under front left arm by the single screw there, ill post some pics.

break out your lights, I suggest loosening those 4 main screws on bottom of arms, the hairline fracture seems to kinda develope or pertain to that screw being overtightened. but use the torches to see "thru" the plastic and force those hairline fractures out into the open!

Magnesium alloy shell cracks is a serious topic. Out of curiosity, are you doing often long distance runs?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Magnesium alloy shell cracks is a serious topic. Out of curiosity, are you doing often long distance runs?

No it's the plastic hull, here's an example
05df953875c5c89e474d25aa96595077_thumb.jpg

Ok
dd19e1eba7c440b78203a92b7149d53c_thumb.jpg
so
I bought some of this shyt, I'd had some but think wife stole it, anyway had this overnighted, Amazon owed me so it was free, anyway I did loosen all the screws quite a bit, then re-tightened them, except not so ridiculously over-done. I was able to "feel" a tiny tiny bit of "slop" or movement in the two arms that have hairline fractures and could see them opening here and there, so I twisted a little as I put some of that quick hardening agent right in the crack, I then hit it with the light, after that I went ahead and "welded" another bead right over all 4 or the hairline cracks, only 2 of them are all the way thru the surface. I did check and will keep an eye on them of course to see, I'd think they would hang up perfectly and do exactly what I want it to do, strengthen the arm, and stop any further crack development, but did check and although says can be filed and "worked" I was able to intentionally pick a certain way and area to "peel" the bead right off, maybe better prep, cleaning would make that harder but I want it that way in case I send it back.

I mean, I'm doing a LOT of runs, I average over a million feet a month right now anyway, gonna do a quarter million today and keep an eye on it, and do a close up maybe destructive test. (Vs a non-destructive test, meaning I will harm the weld, or the actual "bead" to get the closest look up close as I can, this of course means that I risk my findings being favorable as its replacement weld/repair must be same or higher quality to be accurate and is the least favorite test among engineers, at least in my experience, and because I've done it once I learned about all there is/was that I was looking for.

well, will 3 million feet on "Cloud" I been doing extensive maintenance and started using a high end LED torch to look at/through the legs, last week found some hairline fractures but they were smooth on the surface, but since discovering them ive been watching more closley and sure enough, its now a crack, you can feel it, you might not see it without the flashlight, now that I can feel it that doesnt matter. ill bet some super glue or that glue that hardens with UV ive got some of that, would prolly work, i dont want to send it away, I use it too much, we'll see what they say when they reply. the crack is under front left arm by the single screw there, ill post some pics.

break out your lights, I suggest loosening those 4 main screws on bottom of arms, the hairline fracture seems to kinda develope or pertain to that screw being overtightened. but use the torches to see "thru" the plastic and force those hairline fractures out into the open!

Send it in! I did... Got new one back the following week(live in California). That one had a horizon issue, guess what... Sent that one back. They sent a new unit and no issue, so far... If this one developed cracks, I'm sending it back, just like the others. And no, I did not pay for replacements or shipping. Oh, forgot to mention, 3 batteries with cracks above the LED with less then 14 cycles... Sent those back too. Crazy! But I still love this little bastar, but not as much as I love my Inspire 1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20