USAF wants US drone "take down" authority

If you are dumb enough to fly a drone over restricted military airspace, then the USAF should be allowed to take it down. If a few idiots lose their drones that way, the rest will stop doing that sort of thing. It becomes self-correcting behavior.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I stick my finger in my eye"
Doctor: "Stop sticking your finger in your eye"

"In neither case did the airman have the legal authority to shoot down or otherwise disable.."

I would have shot it down and debated the legalese point at leisure.

Bloody idiot flying in an obvious NFZ. A couple of shoot downs, hefty fine plus pokey time .. and I don't mean just 30 days in the local clink! 12-18 months sounds appropriate to me. A couple of headlines like that would soon smarten folks ideas on where and when to fly their UAS.

Unlikely to happen (maybe) but start by enforcing existing laws, not just drawing up more regulations and adding them to the non-enforced list.

Oops! Sorry Ithought it was a grouse/pheasant/ any game bird that I was shooting at.

"In neither case did the airman have the legal authority to shoot down or otherwise disable.."

I would have shot it down and debated the legalese point at leisure.

Bloody idiot .

In what world do you think that deploying ordinance is a willy-nilly fashion would be anything other than bloody idiotic?

What, pray tell, do you think you would use? Guns? Yeah, good luck hitting it and those rounds have to go somewhere? Going to get missle lock? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Rethink calling other people idiots when you make such statements...

Reactions: VVATC
In what world do you think that deploying ordinance is a willy-nilly fashion would be anything other than bloody idiotic?

What, pray tell, do you think you would use? Guns? Yeah, good luck hitting it and those rounds have to go somewhere? Going to get missle lock? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Rethink calling other people idiots when you make such statements...
I think the USAF would use one of the commercially available devices that shoots a net to snarl the drone's props. That would be a lot safer than trying to play "DJI Skeet". It's also why I used the words "the USAF should be allowed to take it down" instead of shooting it down. Getting the drone down intact would make it easier for the authorities to track down the owner.

In theory, the signal to the drone could be hijacked and it could be forced to immediately land. The DJI apps and firmware are not terribly secure and the ftp account name and password on the Phantoms are pretty well known at this point. In practice a military spec drone with a net would probably be a more effective tool for taking down an authorized UAS.

I stand by my description of "idiot" to refer to a person who was flying a quadcopter into restricted military airspace. It's a spectacularly dumb thing to do.

Reactions: AuldGimpy
High end equipment already exists and more in development, to detect, track, and either force down or override a drones onboard systems, as well as track the operators position.

These knucklehead copter/drone pilots that continue to fly irresponsibly is like playing whack-a-mole. They seem to be all over the place ruining for the rest of us who are responsible pilots. :mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav