US Army calls for ban on DJI equipment over security concerns

I'm not a hacker or can I decipher code by any means, but the Army does employ folks who do, maybe someone found something suspicious in DJI's software. v1.11.20 seems very intrusive, even for a consumer who knows very little about how software and coding etc work..

Reactions: P4PCommander
Big Chinese companies are often owned and controlled by the big wigs in the Chinese army (PLA). Assuming that digital devices manufactured in China are safe out of the box for US military use is probably not a good idea.
But the article I read suggested the problem was the ability to easily take control of DJI drones while in flight, not necessarily Chinese information gathering.

'Using' them (DJI MRs & FCs) to study and understand their capabilites and vulnerabilities is likely what occurred. The idea the DOD was using them tactical-ly is dubious.

Last edited:
Below is a sentence from the article I read, and I was surprised at the unit level reference.
"As a result, the Army has for some time allowed units to purchase hundreds of off-the-shelf drones made by DJI, the Chinese consumer drone maker"

No mention of their intentions or reasons for purchase.

Another article from 6+ months ago that has some details about the military interest and even the off the shelf purchasing.

The Military May Soon Buy the Same Drones You Do

""The Army routinely uses off-the-shelf commercial technology, especially in material development areas such as small unmanned aerial systems," says Ben Garrett, chief of public affairs at the Maneuver Center of Excellence, an Army training center at Fort Benning in Georgia."

But they do record and transmit all flight data.
Indeed, it was this that causes issues, the info can be stored on servers in China or anywhere. All data concerning the birds flight, including RTH point. I can understand their concern, but I personally am not worried, I fly by the rules.

Indeed, it was this that causes issues, the info can be stored on servers in China or anywhere. All data concerning the birds flight, including RTH point. I can understand their concern, but I personally am not worried, I fly by the rules.

I am in the same way.... I fly over a river most of the time. I don't care really if someone in China want to hack that info. I even put my videos in YouTube... so it's already public ;).

Reactions: randyvanscoy
But they do record and transmit all flight data.
Yes ..... but
This frequently gets over-exaggerated and shouldn't be a concern for civilian fliers and would be a fairly minor concern for the military.
Your Phantom and its controller transmit flight information and FPS video to each other.
They don't have the power or ability to transmit anything back to China.
What they do transmit is encoded and only able to be intercepted by a very sophisticated hacker who just happens to be nearby and aware that you are flying at the time.
If you choose to upload flight data at a later time to DJI, that's another matter.
That contains flight info and again doesn't give away many secrets.
If someone analysed your flight data the most sensitive info they might gain is that you've flown at the local park a couple of times on Saturday afternoons, how far/fast and for how long.
This is nothing compared to what info your credit card and mobile phone are giving out every day or what people readily disclose on Facebook.

As Floatin said above "But the article I read suggested the problem was the ability to easily take control of DJI drones while in flight, not necessarily Chinese information gathering."
That's much more likely to be a concern for the military.

Which brings up something else. Why aren't there American made alternatives?
There are two alternatives, one of these is called SOLO made by 3DR robotics, but was not successful and dropped out of business in less than two years. Another one which is expensive but a pile of crap is the infamous karma drone. American made but quality of these drones are the issue, suffering from easy crashing and very unstable in the air. Another one which I am not sure if it's American or Chinese... Autel robotics... Made a very good alternative to DJI called the X-Star premium... Very good drone and the customer service work seven days a week and are located in the state of Washington.

Last edited:
There are two alternatives, one of these is called SOLO made by 3DR robotics, but was not successful and dropped out of business in less than two years. Another one which is expensive but a pile of crap is the infamous karma drone. American made but quality of these drones are the issue, suffering from easy crashing and very unstable in the air. Another one which I am not sure if it's American or Chinese... Autel robotics... Made a very good alternative to DJI called the X-Star premium... Very good drone and the customer service work seven days a week and are located in the state of Washington.
Thanks. I think Autel is Chinese.

Reactions: macoman
Autel Robotics has US offices, but is a subsidiary of Autel Intelligent Technology, which is headquartered in Shenzen, China.

Reactions: macoman
Why is anyone surprised that the Chinese is harvesting data from all their mole drones operating all over the world? Furthermore, I am appalled that the FAA here in US allows China to monitor, manage, control and obstruct legal drone operation.
I do realize that our loss of privacy is unfortunate, and companies are allowed to do as much surveillance as they wish, since we gave them those rights after signing the TOS in their apps. But still I do not agree with such blatant abuse of privacy. For those who find that acceptable, since they are not doing anything illegal, do they mind then if we monitor them, their home and their family 24/7 ? Oh, never mind, they already are.

Reactions: Helihover and hms
Why is anyone surprised that the Chinese is harvesting data from all their mole drones operating all over the world? Furthermore, I am appalled that the FAA here in US allows China to monitor, manage, control and obstruct legal drone operation.
I do realize that our loss of privacy is unfortunate, and companies are allowed to do as much surveillance as they wish, since we gave them those rights after signing the TOS in their apps. But still I do not agree with such blatant abuse of privacy. For those who find that acceptable, since they are not doing anything illegal, do they mind then if we monitor them, their home and their family 24/7 ? Oh, never mind, they already are.

Drones are considered flying toys, and most of the toys you buy today are made in China. So that's why they can sell it in the US. About the privacy issue, there is really nothing important what the Chinese are getting from the drones.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94