urban flying - GPS

Reaction score
I notice most videos I watch are in wide open areas. I plan to film in urban areas but I'm struggling with getting enough GPS satellites.

I have to have 7 sats before GPS mode will work?

I understand your problem. Living in the woods, I place mine in my large driveway turn around and most of the time have to wait for enough satellites. I've waited as much as 15-17 minutes. With buildings you will/may run into the same problem. I go out in the open and before I am ready with the phone I have 7-9 satellites.
Well, the manual states 6 to get a set location. I like to wait to make sure I don't loose one just before take off.

I occasionally fly in super dense urban area and my FPV signal is affected way more than GPS. I get GPS lock maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute longer than it takes in a rural area.

If you're running a non-vision with a separate FPV transmitter, definitely go for higher power vTx like 500 or 600mW.

I get the opposite. My FPV will get the occasional 5.8GHz data blips (horizontal lines) from WiFi routers but is otherwise totally fine. Contrast that with my GPS which suffers a lot even if only 1/4 of the sky is obscured by a building. Normally in a open space, I get 9-10 on the ground and 11-14 in the air. But with 5 story building about 30ft away, I'll get 5-6 after a couple of minutes and in the air it doesn't get much better.

Practicing my ATTI but it is a pain when then wind isn't cooperating.

I do all urban flying so far.
Haven't had a problem without getting enough sats to fly with.
Once the green lights come on, I'm flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna