Upgrading

Reaction score
I started with a DJI Phantom 3. I now have a P4 and what a difference! Now it's time to upgrade again. Getting a P4 Pro...and a Mavic Pro. P4 Pro will be my go-to platform for taking photos and video. I am recreational; not Part 107. Love photos from altitude. The Mavic Pro will be for traveling. I have a KANUK 945 case;

which is great for traveling on a plane, but not totally convinced it won't one day "get lost" as baggage. "Airline...We will pay for your case, but contents unknown". My last flight was scary. Kept watching for my case on the conveyor at my small regional airport....a no-show. Then a guy came from the back with my case. He thought it was a rifle and wanted to hand deliver to me. Very thoughtful of him. Like I said, made me wonder if it could be "lost" at one of the major hubs. I was with a major airline...things do get lost! The Mavic Pro can be placed under my seat and I won't have to worry about it. It's also a great platform for photos and video. Will probably sell my P4 once I "play for a while".

Reactions: PhoenixOne
My policy is to never check things on a plane that I cannot do without at my destination, in case by bag is lost or delayed. This includes my prescription sunglasses, laptop, chargers with cables, drone, ALL LI-PO batteries, and ipad. Clothes can be replaced quickly at my destination if needed, it's only money. The important items I carry-on the plane are not replaceable in time to still have a good vacation in my allotted vacation time-frame. Since you are required to carry-on the drone batteries anyway, you might as well carry the drone too, keeping everything together.

I highly recommend using a backpack for your Mavic. They are lighter and way more convenient than a hard case when hiking, motorcycling, or bicycling to a flight location. Hard cases are a PIA IMO. This is a good backpack for the M2 that doesn't cost much. I use it all the time with my M2. I prefer a backpack that doesn't have a foam insert. These configurable camera cases hold more gear for the same size foam insert type, PLUS, I can use it for other purposes, and quickly reconfigure if needed. It's small enough to fit under the plane seat, but I usually stow it in the overhead. Lastly, a backpack is NON DESCRIPT. It doesn't scream "VALUABLE GOODS INSIDE", like you experienced. It also doesn't raise any eyebrows when you're hiking on a trail, walking through a mall or tourist attraction. Nobody thinks twice about someone carrying a black backpack. I don't recommend backpacks with "DJI" embroidered on it, or an image of a drone. That will make you a target for theft or discrimination.

John,
I understand what you mean about traveling with what you need in a backpack. I traveled all over the world with just a backpack. If I had to buy something I really needed for a particular instance, I bought it. If I didn't have room to take it, I would give it to someone that looked like they needed it.
I didn't mention that the Mavic Pro I'm getting comes with a backpack...along with the "more" package. I also agree to have a pack with no "I have a drone inside" on it. My drone, controller, tablet, Osmo Action Camera, and batteries will be under the seat and will NEVER leave my sight. Two of our people had tablets stolen on flights when they went to the toilet just before they landed....someone grabbed their bag from overhead, took the tablet out, replaced the backpack like it was theirs.
Was always a little nervous about shipping that big bag. However, if you have ever watched Josh Gates on "Exhibition Unknown"; a great TV series; he ships his massive amounts of gear all over the world in the same case I have. Won't have to worry now. :)

I didn't mention that the Mavic Pro I'm getting comes with a backpack...along with the "more" package.
Hopefully the backpack you're talking about isn't the DJI dinky pack (as I call it), as those are mediocre IMO, the little one that comes with the fly more kit. That small tote bag is fine for a quick flight or two from home, however you can't carry everything needed for a vacation, such as 4 batteries, the charge cradle, filters, iPad, iPad holder, OsmoAction, charger, etc.

I'm trying to sell my P3P Microrapter hard case now. I never used it! I've had it for 3yrs and it looks like new, because it's never been out in the field. I paid $275 for that thing and have no takers at $100. Biggest mistake I've made with drone accessories. I thought it would be really nice to store the craft with props on for a fast launch capability. Then the P4 came out with clip-on props, mitigating the issue of pulling out the wrench to tighten props on the P3P.

Josh Gates on "Exhibition Unknown"; a great TV series; he ships his massive amounts of gear all over the world

If you have to ship your drone somewhere all the time, a hard-case is way to go, essential. But I never need to ship my drone. Josh Gates has no choice but to ship his gear, or check it, as it's too much to carry on. My nephew is a new cameraman, he checks 12 cases of camera equipment everywhere he flies to report the news somewhere out of town. He has no choice but to check it as extra baggage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic