Unusual gimble dance

Reaction score
Out of the blue at startup the gimble has issues, am I looking at a major failure?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Any warnings or notifications show up on the DJI GO app? Has the drone been started up with the gimbal lock still in place? Or the camera movement been obstructed at some time? Hard landings?
Just basic questions to be able to rule out possible causes.
Please let us know.

Just gimble overload after about 30 seconds, one hard landing last year, a dozen flights since then no problems. Never started with lock in place. I don't have much experience fixing anything less than 9500lbs UH-1. Did that for 26 years. these little guys are a challenge.

There are plenty of gimble dance threads but not quite like mine that I found.

With the drone powered off and disconnected from the app, gently rotate the gimbal motors to check if any of them have any unusual resistance or have any foreign material possibly interfering with movement. Also look to see if the ribbon cable has any visible marks on it.
I always look for simple things first.

You could start off by gently pressing on the ribbon cable where it connects to each of the 2 motor boards. The one closest to the camera head is the roll motor. The next one is the pitch motor. As you press on the connection point, give it a little “wiggle “, to in effect reseat the contacts on each control board.

So there does not appear to be any physical damage, I worked on the ribbon ends slightly and maybe we have touched the issue, the result is a different movement. Maybe completely reseating the ribbon ends would be the next step unless someone recognizes the symptom specifically.

Attachments

• 20200321_182131[1].jpg
    20200321_182131[1].jpg
    385 KB · Views: 165
Yes, a definite difference in movement. Actually less movement. Unplugging the cable ends would be a good next test. When unplugged look at the contacts to see if they may have any discoloration or corrosion. Another question, is the ribbon cable a thin single layer or does it have 3 layers?

Reactions: RREIS
I removed the backplate and aligned the motor, it was out about a 1/4 turn. 95% better, I still have a seizure went body banks to the right. Any ideas?

The position of flat surface of the motor shaft is critical for proper operation of the camera. The only motor that can be repositioned is the pitch motor. You can actually get the roll motor 180 degrees off but you would have to take the camera head off to do it. I’ve seen people make that mistake before. Here is the proper position for the pitch motor.
I have had to realign this motor before on gimbals, but normally it is because of a wreck or starting up with the gimbal lock in place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    797 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    860.9 KB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 187
Thanks for that verification, mine was off. It is now aligned like your photos. The allen head set screw on the shaft was a bit lose, now tightened. But I still have a slight tick when the body tilts to the right, no other angle. It stops when leveled. Anything else come to mind that might do that I can check. Learning curve verticle at this time, all good. Thanks

Thanks for that verification, mine was off. It is now aligned like your photos. The allen head set screw on the shaft was a bit lose, now tightened. But I still have a slight tick when the body tilts to the right, no other angle. It stops when leveled. Anything else come to mind that might do that I can check. Learning curve verticle at this time, all good. Thanks

The allen head screw is on the yaw motor shaft. If that screw is loose, it tends to make the camera assembly shake side to side, like “shaking your head no”.

If it still has a slight tick while banking it, the pitch motor shaft may be slightly off center still. That shaft with the flat surface, rotates the potentiometer on that small circuit board. If it’s not perfectly centered it will work well in one direction but not the other. Not enough resistance in the circuit that one way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic