UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Distance, Speed, etc) v11

Re: UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Unlimited GS Distance

been too hot most this weekend and then with rain.. and then it cleared up here just 20 minutes ago.. and I went for it. I planned a 2 mile round trip flight over 4,000 feet distance away -- total flight distance 10,825 feet.. I toured 2 nearby lakes at 250 feet altitude.. on fast speed (20 m/s)... it took 7 minutes with 8 way points!... SO AWESOME!

FYI, I learned that when you drop a WP, then try to move it around, it becomes stuck within the original 1500 foot radius limit.. I just deleted it then dropped it where I wanted it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-14-19-13-36.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-14-19-13-36.png
    526.6 KB · Views: 526

Jayson Hanes said:
been too hot most this weekend and then with rain.. and then it cleared up here just 20 minutes ago.. and I went for it. I planned a 2 mile round trip flight over 4,000 feet distance away -- total flight distance 10,825 feet.. I toured 2 nearby lakes at 250 feet altitude.. on fast speed (20 m/s)... it took 7 minutes with 8 way points!... SO AWESOME!

FYI, I learned that when you drop a WP, then try to move it around, it becomes stuck within the original 1500 foot radius limit.. I just deleted it then dropped it where I wanted it.

Awesome!

I'll fix that tomorrow. Should be an easy fix.

So while I've been waiting for the video to process I did the math.. even though I was set to fast speed of 20 m/s, which should be 44ish mph, it seems I only averaged 18mph... this was my first time trying fast, but maybe because I had the WP issue as described that it fubared the mission and stuck it back at the original limit?

Jayson Hanes said:
So while I've been waiting for the video to process I did the math.. even though I was set to fast speed of 20 m/s, which should be 44ish mph, it seems I only averaged 18mph... this was my first time trying fast, but maybe because I had the WP issue as described that it fubared the mission and stuck it back at the original limit?

Fast won't make your phantom go 20m/s, it will only move up the speed limit. Just like when you put the throttle at max, your phantom won't achieve 20m/s.

Realistically you'll get up to 25-27mph in a minimal wind environment. Also your phantom will pause at each way point, so if you're doing the math on trip time vs distance traveled it will be affected by waypoint pauses.

I'm going to try to eliminate the pause at way points.

well I am able to "fly" at 45 mph easily.. and I've been up to 65 mph several times with some tail wind (atti mode).. so that means that my phantom CAN go above 20 m/s without any effort.. don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I just wanted to share my observation. Eliminating the WP Pause would be nice..

Has anyone noticed that when flying east/west that the phantom seems to fly askew to those wp's? It doesn't seem to do it North/south..

Jayson Hanes said:
well I am able to "fly" at 45 mph easily.. and I've been up to 65 mph several times with some tail wind (atti mode).. so that means that my phantom CAN go above 20 m/s without any effort.. don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I just wanted to share my observation. Eliminating the WP Pause would be nice..

Has anyone noticed that when flying east/west that the phantom seems to fly askew to those wp's? It doesn't seem to do it North/south..

Really? On the latest firmware? The max in the latest firmware is 15m/s... At least so says DJI's website and my experience... :? :?:

Jayson flies in ATTI most of the time... so he's used to the higher numbers...

The high speed in this app is governed by GPS mode so you won't see 45mph unless you have a stiff tail wind...

And when you say 18mph average ... is that including the pauses for waypoints? If you allow for those your average speed "while traveling" wilI go up... best way to really see what's going on is watch your display in the early part of the flight and see what speeds you are getting before you lose video and telemetry.... getting an average over time with 7 waypoints thrown in the curve is gonna be hard to average out.

(Did I use the word "average" enough in that paragraph? :| )

yeah including the waypoint pauses.. so over 7 waypoints that's nearly a minute of wasted time.. so yeah it's easily over 20 mph.. and you're right Chuck, I should have watched the speed on the device before I lost wifi, lol.. whoops... my edits are processing and I'll post the video when it's done. Coffee, before the latest firmware I found it very easy to do 55 mph, and since the latest, 45 is the norm. So it makes sense that DBS says about "in gps mode".. I didn't think of that :)

Sorry, complete noob on waypoint navigation.
I have a stock Version 2. No vision, no Plus.

What would I need in HW and SW terms, to be able to use this?
Is it possible or can it only be done using a Vision+?

Thanks.

btw, coffee, I think you have done a great job with this, very impressed with your work.

Lykle

Jayson Hanes said:

And forgot something to mention. Losing hight when traveling that speed in ATTI.

Coffee did you alter the speed in the low/mid/fast afterwards ?
After the initial unlimited release i mean ?

Does this work with the latest firmware version?

Great job on this! Should be great fun for flying low altitude missions beyond line of site, along coast lines with cliffs, through canyons, up winding rivers ...

Lykle said:
Sorry, complete noob on waypoint navigation.
I have a stock Version 2. No vision, no Plus.

What would I need in HW and SW terms, to be able to use this?
Is it possible or can it only be done using a Vision+?

Thanks.

btw, coffee, I think you have done a great job with this, very impressed with your work.

Lykle

I believe Ground Station only works with Vision or Vision Plus.

ToThePoint said:
Coffee did you alter the speed in the low/mid/fast afterwards ?
After the initial unlimited release i mean ?

The first release didn't have any speed modification. The new one in my first post does.

srandall25 said:
Does this work with the latest firmware version?

Yes.

wharfbanger said:
Great job on this! Should be great fun for flying low altitude missions beyond line of site, along coast lines with cliffs, through canyons, up winding rivers ...

LOL. Yes it should but keep in mind that the flight will be dependent on GPS and if you block LOS from the sky on one or two sides (cliff or canyon) things might go horribly wrong! :eek:

Jayson Hanes said:
here's my video from that flight.. down to a few minutes.. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dd3qHQla-A[/youtube]

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

I've gotten rid of the way point pause (not released yet). It was a 3 second pause I believe at each way point. Of course it will still decelerate towards the way point (I don't know if I can really remove this), and if it's harsh turn it will only leave once it's got the exact heading it is looking for.

I'll keep looking to see if there is any method of making the latitude/longitude ever so slightly less precise (i.e. if it reaches within a 1-2m area, rather than whatever it is currently). Sometimes I've noticed that it will miss the point and attempt to "touch it" before continuing which makes a video recording look bad.

edit: yes, I think I can remove the deceleration towards a point but the phantom will likely fly like an idiot trying to reach a point without a "bigger" way point.

ToThePoint said:
Jayson Hanes said:

And forgot something to mention. Losing hight when traveling that speed in ATTI.

it shouldn't be a surprise that height is lost in fast flight. the drone has no flying surfaces, just thrust. once the amount of thrust used to go laterally doesn't leave enough thrust left to maintain altitude the thing is bound to drop, it doesn't have a choice. it isn't a problem with the phantom, just not enough power to do both things being asked of it. if you want to go fast and level buy a plane?? :mrgreen:

sbarton said:
Does this app version work with previous firmware? I'm using firmware 3.04 and 1.0.50 android app.

Not sure off the top of my head. As long as you are able to use Ground Station on your existing firmware, then yes you can use it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl