UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Distance, Speed, etc) v11

Re: UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Unlimited GS Distance

Jimgermani said:
Great job!! Is this compatible with Android version 3.2.1? (I received a "parse" error when I tried to install on an old Vizio Android tablet)

I also tried to install an Android emulator on my laptop (Bluestacks), and the app sort of works (I can get video), but that's it. I can't controll the camera angle or anything else, but I think that has something to do with how the wifi and emulator communicate.

I've heard similar stories with bluestacks and the DJI app... apparently they don't play well with eachother :|

Can someone please test my latest version? The weather is not cooperating yet again here today, even though it was supposed to be sunny.

I've made some changes that should affect Fast and Medium Speeds. I don't know if it will make any difference or if there are some other controls in the Phantom that regulates GS speed.

Fast should now be UP to 20m/s (instead of 8)
Medium should now be UP to 7m/s (instead of 4)
Slow remains the same at up to 2m/s

I've edited the title bar to reflect these changes so it's more clear.

YTGWni0.jpg

Also added a warning when enabling Ground Station.

5EPwE5B.png

DBS said:
I will be able to test but I'm nervous about the outcome... 20m/s works out to 44mph... my Phantom can't do that in GPS mode without a tail wind :?

I don't think it will actually go that fast as there is no direct talk between the app and the motors. What I think it does is tell the Phantom "Don't go over this speed". So if the max is reached, it will slow down.

Don't burn out the motors with too fast speed. Or overheat. Even though air cooled, some research should be done on the motors themselves first.

Also the propellers, to see if they bend at faster speeds.
For example, I swung a yard stick over a coworker woman's head once. I forgot about aerodynamics. The yard stick bent in a arch and the end walloped her a good one.
... we laugh about it now ... but ohhhhhhhhh, the years of retribution I earned.

propeller design and affects : http://www.cavalrypilot.com/fm1-514/Ch2.htm

flyingtim said:
Don't burn out the motors with too fast speed. Or overheat. Even though air cooled, some research should be done on the motors themselves first.

Also the propellers, to see if they bend at faster speeds.
For example, I swung a yard stick over a coworker woman's head once. I forgot about aerodynamics. The yard stick bent in a arch and the end walloped her a good one.
... we laugh about it now ... but ohhhhhhhhh, the years of retribution I earned.

This won't be an issue... The Phantom can already go 45mph in ATTI mode for long distances with no heat problems or prop warping or whatever...

DBS said:
ilovecoffee said:
Ok, it works now. Updating the first post now.

What did your results show? Did you get the full 44mph or did it back off in the 30s like it does in GPS mode?

The new speed is a new limit. It's important to think of these settings as speed limits, and not the speed itself. So when you select fast, you will simply be able to go up to 20m/s should there be a strong tail wind, the Phantom will not attempt to decrease its speed (not sure if it does this). So my testing indicated when selecting fast I was able to get about 11m/s, which is what I would be able to do when holding the throttle stick all the way down.

It will still decelerate properly when reaching a waypoint.

Would you be willing to share your source code (hopefully, commented)? I would like to follow your lead on this.

DrD said:
Would you be willing to share your source code (hopefully, commented)? I would like to follow your lead on this.

It's not really new source code I'm introducing. It's really just finding the right variables in the right places, or getting rid of IF conditions.

But I'd be happy to help you out via PM if you have any questions.

And the other thought is that laws are being formed about quadcopters. If we bypass the DJI safeguards, we only contribute to tougher, out of balance, laws.
These things are highly dangerous once out of line of sight.

Research out the current arguments and threats with the laws. Including lawsuits, though improper, from the FCC at the guys like us.

We don't want to contribute to negative laws. DJI is one of the first to 'forward think' and add the 'no airport' coding to their Quad software.

If we tamper on speed and distance, it could hurt us all.

Remember, even helicopter pilots are leery of Quads. They can bring a chopper down.

There are always 'kooks' that will use these modifications to cause us all trouble. Ilovecoffee, I would recommend that you be very careful changing speed and distance settings. There is too much physic involved and too much opportunity that someone will cause an accident, or even a death, of someone by mis'using these alterations.

I've not edited elevation restrictions nor airport restrictions.

With a great antenna mod you could already theoretically take it to the max battery life distance. Do people complain in those threads? No, it's actually a competition.

The main risk here is not being in communication with your phantom after a certain point and hope it returns back. Everything about these requires a good head on your shoulders to operate.

The DJI safeguards are more for its ability to return home safely after a mission. But it isn't reflective of reality if you want a straight line mission.

Reactions: Pulsar747n

It's all depends on the person it self. Not the tool or the application we use.

We can still kill somebody with all default setting and software. Just try moving it through someone else head. It's dangerous, if you look at that way.

And no, Nobody doing that.

Thank you op.

I agree. That is for us anyway who try to keep level shoulders.

Just wanted to add my post above to the record in case some other person with less character than ilovecoffee decides they want to try their hand at hacking.

One bad hack, just like one bad pilot, makes the Quad one really bad lethal weapon.

Just did a test on medium and fast for a short waypoint flight. It appears that the modification is not a limit, but a new set speed(at least for me). On mid setting I was at 15 mph between waypoints, on fast I was at 23 mph. I have a video of the screen capture on the short flight using the mid setting which I will try to upload.

Jstic said:
Just did a test on medium and fast for a short waypoint flight. It appears that the modification is not a limit, but a new set speed(at least for me). On mid setting I was at 15 mph between waypoints, on fast I was at 23 mph. I have a video of the screen capture on the short flight using the mid setting which I will try to upload.

That's right. On medium it will be your speed since that's easily attainable. 15mph is just under 7m/s. 23mph is just under 11m/s, which is obviously not the full 20m/s speed! But on fast, the phantom won't slow down if it's being pushed by wind!

I guess there is some confusion by what I had written. I hope this makes sense.

Yes, it makes perfect sense. And I LIKE IT!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic