Universal dampened camera mount

MonsieurAnon said:
That should be fine with the heavy mount. I'm hoping to test my 100g heavier Samsung NX1100 with it when the weather clears. After that all I need is a sample to arrive from Shapeways and I'll be putting it on sale.

I'm very much looking forward to that! Would it be possible to modify one of them to be able to attach a gopro mount? It may be an insulting question to this crowd, but I do need a good dampened non-gimbal mount for that as well on my P2 shell...and the existing options aren't very good.

MonsieurAnon said:
That really does seem interesting. Is it possible to use these with a spare channel with the DJI tx?

Yes, the channel normally used for gimbal tilt control can be repurposed for that

Is the thought of creating a mount that just sits below the vision camera so you could add in a small light weight digital, thus using the fpv of the vision still, is that just not do able? To much weight and variance?

Thanks ShrimpFarmer!

peterlindsay said:
Is the thought of creating a mount that just sits below the vision camera so you could add in a small light weight digital, thus using the fpv of the vision still, is that just not do able? To much weight and variance?

Actually, the thought had crossed my mind; of seating 2 devices; for a number of reasons.

First; the Vision camera is a readily accessible and good FPV system. That's why I'll be making sure that this mount supports it a few versions in. Some people might want to mount the Vision camera + another type of sensor. I'd also thought about putting speakers on it to play tunes as it flew around; or even quips like "Do you know John Connor?"

Second; I've seen other rigs on bigger drones that handle 2 goPros and when I started researching I realised that the 2 goPros is well within the P2's load capacity. Filming stereoscopic footage might be just about to take off with consumer devices like 3D TVs and VR goggles seeming to be on the cusp of becoming common; especially amongst the sort of people who buy drones.

Finally; full disclosure; I'm a semi-retired 3D artist from Games & Animation. I've worked in a studio that used 3D scanning before and I'm very interested in different methods of scanning. There's a variety of methods to try that are relevant when you have a drone: stereoscopic filming, high res single cameras & Kinect like devices. This mount will hopefully allow me to achieve all those as tests so that I can determine the best method for backpack portable 3D scanning.

Here's an example of a result I got from the Vision Camera:

Click for high res.

peterlindsay said:

Check out my thread on the Sony QX10... I need some collaborators....

Sorry for the delay guys; the weather has been horrible here.

I have the Shapeways sample of the light mount and have taken the heavy mount for a flight despite the winds. All I need to do now is take the heavier P2V down to a park with a laptop so that I can adjust gains, so that I can provide thorough advice on installation.

MonsieurAnon said:
Sorry for the delay guys; the weather has been horrible here.

I have the Shapeways sample of the light mount and have taken the heavy mount for a flight despite the winds. All I need to do now is take the heavier P2V down to a park with a laptop so that I can adjust gains, so that I can provide thorough advice on installation.

Hi Monsieur

I too have a heavy P2. about 220 Grams of extra weight . I am using the QX10 and the vision camera together and a mobile phone onboard to trigger the shutter (I have tried everything else).. Everything seems to work on my test flight but the P2 keeps descending for about 5 secs if I leave the throttle in the center position , this means I must always add some throttle to hover... Do you think the Gain adj. will fix this ? I have set it at 140 % and have yet to do another test flight.

My issue isn't with losing altitude so much; it is sluggish in stopping a descent for sure, but my problem is oscillating when trying to stay level. I think I need to reduce my yaw gains more than anything; because according to the DJI documentation if you're getting oscillation then you need to reduce by ~10%. The reason I need to reduce is I think the helicopter is trying to update too quickly for the weight.

Vertical gains are another thing entirely and I'll get to that when I've got a less shaky drone. The goal, after all, is to take high detail photos and I don't want to compromise on shutter speed.

MonsieurAnon said:
You're a great thread. :)

Any ideas for mounting options that you'd like to see?

I would love to see a mount that attaches to the Phantom at the servo that moves the FC200. This way you could still have tilt control.

I don't know if the servo can take that strain but I imagine it could, it seems robust.

The motor driven mount is definitely in the works. I'm thinking of trying to offer 2 in the long run; that operate on either axis.

I might even try to build a heavy duty (~200g camera) 2d gimbal for the Phantom; but that's a long way away.

Weather is still horrible today; might clear up by evening. The annoying part is that the light conditions are almost perfect for another series of tests that I want to run, but I'm naturally hesitant to fly in rain.

MonsieurAnon said:
The motor driven mount is definitely in the works. I'm thinking of trying to offer 2 in the long run; that operate on either axis.

I might even try to build a heavy duty (~200g camera) 2d gimbal for the Phantom; but that's a long way away.

Weather is still horrible today; might clear up by evening. The annoying part is that the light conditions are almost perfect for another series of tests that I want to run, but I'm naturally hesitant to fly in rain.

Very cool. Thanks for your work on this.

ResevorDG said:
MonsieurAnon said:

Very cool. Thanks for your work on this.

+1

I'm very anxious to see (and use) the final product(s)...haven't seen any good adjustable, dampened, versatile, non-gimbal mounts, it looks like these could really hit the sweet spot for what I need.

Great Success!

I managed to determine the source & cause of the vibrations. There was a few issues at play, the most dominant being the length of the design, being insufficient for the weight I was lifting.

I will be printing updated prototypes in the coming days for the heavy mount, so stay tuned for that. In the meantime I will be releasing the lite mount on shapeways, as I'm satisfied that it can handle the loads that many of you want it for.

Shapeways link

I've updated my Phantom Vision mount for tripod cameras to fit the Phantom 2 fuselage and it is now available for sale on shapeways. This mount is suitable for cameras up to 150g and parts for it will be compatible with a heavier mount that I'm still refining.

Shapeways link

Optional GoPro attachment

Note that this mount is capable of carrying dual GoPros.

Development thread

674x501_1885874_2605559_1398054825.jpg

674x501_1885874_2605558_1398054825.jpg

674x501_1885874_2605560_1398054825.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie