Understanding Solar Winds/Flare effect

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about solar winds/flare.

I read that it affects GPS so I'm trying to be careful, downloaded two apps to monitor with my android (Geomagnetic Storms and SAM)

I understand that i should avoid flying (GPS Mode) if Kp-index is higher than 5.

Geomagnetic Storm app gives me a graph of current Kp-index that updates every 3 hours, while SAM just states the condition.

I want to know if its safe to fly when the graph shows Kp was high earlier on the day but its currently low? i.e. 3 or 6 hours before kp was 6 and now its around kp 3.

Reason im asking is although geomagnetic storms app shows its currently low, SAM will just state "Storm" if it was high earlier that day.

Attached are two screenshots taken the moment i wrote this topic.

Thanks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420656252133.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1420656252133.png
    364.2 KB · Views: 581
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420656268386.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1420656268386.png
    175 KB · Views: 597
I've used GPS for 20 years and been flying Phantoms for a year without seeing any evidence that there is any real impact at all.
My feeling is that solar flares may have some small effect but that it makes no real difference to users.

Agreed and same here.

Never been proven there's any link to Phantom 'problems'.

I never checked that..

On a dutch forum, many people are screaming that it is dangerous to fly when the index in higher then 5.. :lol:

I do a lot flights, never checked it and had never a problem with the gps signal.

Thanks for the information,

I don't really know much about GPS technology but I've seen warnings about Kp levels in forums so I was being careful, but what I hear from you guys is reassuring :D

Did you ever drive in a wrong direction with you car navigation ? ;)
It is the same gps.. ;)

A good blast from a nearby pulsar or supernova could sterilize the entire earth. A massive solar eruption from our own sun that directly hits the earth could theoretically do some harm to satellites or even overload the electrical grid and prevent you from recharging between flights (plus destroy the western economy). It would be a really unusual event. But it is possible. I'd be more inclined to worry about a nearby tree eating your quad. Those things are insatiable.

It might be a good idea to check the geomagnetic field (solar activity) after a fly away and start retrieving a little data and posting it here. Yes my GPS girl (the nag) changes her mind quite often. I have just in the past month or so been checking the apps mentioned but so far have not had any evidence of interference. The most profound thing for me was after I did the copper mod to my v2p+ and went up a few sats in count.

Mauske said:
Did you ever drive in a wrong direction with you car navigation ? ;)
It is the same gps.. ;)
Yes I have, sometimes I have no idea where she is sending me.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31