Lava and grape vines in Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Reaction score
Yesterday was a cloudy day but I had a spare hour with nothing to do, so I took my Phantom 3 4K about 5 miles from home and had a short flight, despite the poor light. The area I went to shows how volcanic eruptions in the past led to lava flowing over previously fertile land. You can see spurs of lava jutting into the vineyards and then reaching its limit, leaving the fertile land still available.

Because Lanzarote is situated within the area of the northeast trade winds there is often a stiff breeze, so to protect the vines from the wind the farmers keep them pruned low to the ground and protect them from the wind with stone walls. The more established vines tend to be planted in depressions with semi-circular stone walls protecting one or two vines, but the more recent ones are protected by long straight walls, making them easier to harvest. You can see both types of protection in this video.

Last edited:
Reactions: E-T and WV. Rootman
I like cultural oddities like that. It makes a good video. Your explanation helps a lot. When was the last eruption?
In Croatia they plant the grapes on the side of the hill away from the winds. They have a strong wind problem. They have a wild grape that has adapted to the situation. It has been genetically traced as the ancestor to the zinfandel grape.

Reactions: Brian I
I like cultural oddities like that. It makes a good video. Your explanation helps a lot. When was the last eruption?
In Croatia they plant the grapes on the side of the hill away from the winds. They have a strong wind problem. They have a wild grape that has adapted to the situation. It has been genetically traced as the ancestor to the zinfandel grape.

That information about Croatia is interesting.

The last major eruption here took place from 1730 to 1736 and it covered an area of 200 square kilometres, producing mountains that previously didn't exist and increasing the size of the island by quite a few square kilometres. There was a smaller eruption in the mid-19th century, but the lava field visible in the video is from the 1730 - 36 eruption.

Last edited:
Reactions: WV. Rootman
That information about Croatia is interesting.

The last major eruption here took place from 1730 to 1736 and it covered an area of 200 square kilometres, producing mountains that previously didn't exist and increasing the size of the island by quite a few square kilometres. There was a smaller eruption in the mid-19th century, but the lava field visible in the video is from the 1730 - 36 eruption.

I loved reading about it. Thanks.

As JeffryS said such light is the best. You only could add some contrast to the picture as the territory is colorless.
I've never seen a vinyard like this. Interesting.

Reactions: Brian I

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl