Ultrasonic Sensor Failure... Repeatedly.

Reaction score
Anyone else experience getting an Ultrasonic Sensor System error? I have had it 3 times since the latest Firmware update.

Attachments

• screeny.png
    screeny.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 924
Yep -- it's a firmware bug. Either disable VPS in the DJI Pilot application or ignore it.

Same issue here also with vps not working properly. Just drove a good way to get some shots too!

DJI is really the worst when talking about firmware. They release firmwares that are not at all beta tested. Issues on p2 v+ now issues on p3. The problem is that with p3 you're almost forced to update but noone should.

Perhaps Blade Strike missed this issue :)

When this was in testing I was in the hospital.. I just don't test p3 firmware either
DJI has different testers around the globe and it depends on what's changed and who should test.

Just shows how ignorant you truly are..

Last edited:
Everyone else dji is aware of the issues and I have sent logs a few days ago. 1 of my craft has this issue and the other doesn't. If you experience this issue please just disable vps for now.

Just have to bump this one.

My P3P after the 15 June update started having this issue. EVERY FLIGHT. In daylight, perfect conditions - it starts with the optical measurement in the control app appearing/disappearing - it shows N/A, then shows the right distance from ground, than again N/A. After a few such switches I get the error of "Land as soon as possible". Then I can just continue flying, but two things happen:

-Sometimes, when at low altitude, the aircraft will begin to loose altitude in a controlled descend and would hit the ground if I don't interfere.

-The measurement goes wrong. If I use auto go home, it will "reach" altitude of 0 at above 20 meters above ground. After that it descends slowly, as it's thinking it's sinking below ground zero; while finally landing at around -20 meters (at the spot where it originally took off from).

BAD.

@IceFireSoul
There is Nadda you can do about it...
disable vps for now
is really all you can do...

I am suprised @Meta4 said this,
It's not like most of us really used VPS much anyway
The craft uses it all the time below a certain level.

My advice as i have done is get onto DJI with flight data, video of the flight and record your screen... They will behave as if you are the only one to ever have this issue... :eek:

We appear to be the small % who is having this issue... As a matter of interest, do you have reduced signal strength, wondering if it is connected...

But what do I know I am just ignorant :rolleyes:

No. I have amazingly good signal in the mountain for example, and I get it as well.

I get it EVERY SINGLE flight, there is no connection between anything, no "if". Probably it's about a hardware version of the VPS system itself that's compatible or not with the update. I can also just guess. But I am a professional QA and can ensure it does happen every single time, regardless of anything.

And yes, it does use it under 20 meters or so. As I have confirmed, I had a situation when the Phantom was using it, and because the system was constantly reporting 0 meters above the ground, and it was 10 meters above; it kept descending quite quickly. It would have hit the ground.

Reactions: Stephan
Interesting, when I originally received the the P3 I flew it off a mountain too. I was surprised it showed the height as you described, I thought it was because it did not take into account that people would fly from a height above sea level. I did mean to ask the question on the forum, but I have not flown it since.

I often wondered whether the P3 would recognize that you took off from say 800m that it would reflect though GPS etc.

Yes, it should. Ground zero within the application should always reflect 0 meters at take off point. Normally it should go to negative value only if you fly off from a tall building or a mountain top and dive under.

I am suprised @Meta4 said this, The craft uses it all the time below a certain level.
My understanding is that the VPS system only works at low altitudes and not when GPS is not available.
According to the P3 specs, it has a range of 3 metres.
I do all my flying outdoors with good GPS signal and usually well above 3 metres so I don't need the VPS system.
After the firmware upgrade, I flew 2.5 kilometres offshore .. and then flew one kilometre photographing a ship until I got the Ultrasonic System Error - Please land as soon as possible.
Gulp !! ASAP wasn't an option in that situation but noting happened and I safely flew back to shore without incident.
I've turned off the VPS system since just as DJI have advised for people getting these false error messages and flown happily since.

The Phantom doesn't use VPS all the time and is completely safe to fly with it switched off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair