UK - where can you fly

Reaction score
I was at a Historic Scotland site yesterday which is basically a castle in the middle of a field. I was getting my aircraft setup to fly and a lady from historic scotland came over and asked me if I had permission from their head office. I didn't so had to put it away. Just wondering if they can do this legally? I would think they would but just interested in the legal details here.

Additional if I launch my aircraft from my house and then fly over a field or high over someone else's property, what are the UK regulations relating to that? Am I ok to do that?

Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: monkeychops
I was at a Historic Scotland site yesterday which is basically a castle in the middle of a field. I was getting my aircraft setup to fly and a lady from historic scotland came over and asked me if I had permission from their head office. I didn't so had to put it away. Just wondering if they can do this legally? I would think they would but just interested in the legal details here.

Additional if I launch my aircraft from my house and then fly over a field or high over someone else's property, what are the UK regulations relating to that? Am I ok to do that?

Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You need the landowners permission for take off and landing.
When taking off and landing, you need to be 30m clear of people and property that are not under your control. Once in the air, this extends to 50m, unless you are flying near a congested area or an organised open air assembly of more than 1,000 people, when it further extends to 150m. (The actual Air Navigation Order states over or near, but seeing as you can't go above 120m, the over bit seems a bit redundant!)
The Air Navigation Order defines a congested area as being 'any area of a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes'. Which clarifies the definition perfectly!

So to answer your questions:
Yes, the Historic Scotland lady was legally allowed to ask you if you had permission
If you launch from your own property, assuming you're the landowner, and any neighbours within 30m have given permission for you to take off in proximity to their buildings, once you are in the air and are more than 50m away from anything, you are fine to fly over fields and property. (Unless the airspace is restricted of course)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20