UK to demand mandatory drone registration?

Reaction score
It's been discussed in Parliament this week and the outlook is not good.

Will UK drone fliers face mandatory registration? - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

Mr Hayes

I have heard the point my hon. Friend makes very
clearly, and if we are to consider further action, that will be one of the areas to look at closely and, as I said, urgently. The argument in favour of registration is advanced frequently, but it is none the worse for that. Certainly, I have heard what he said and we will take it into account.

I thought the Shakespeare quoted framed it as a UK thing!

• Mr Hayes
    For me, summer is an endless affair—my life is a constant summer, with a touch of spring and the warm glowing fires of winter—but frankly we need to act early this year, and given where we are, that means summer. The hon. Gentleman asks the question, perfectly reasonably, and I am happy to answer that I hope to be able to do something in the summer—if it can be done. I want to get it right, as I do not do not want to proceed on the basis of hastily doing something that we then regret, because this is a challenging and complex area for the very reasons of technological change that I mentioned, although they are not a reason to do nothing.
  • Jeremy Lefroy
    Will the Minister, who is indeed a summery person, undertake to publish the report on the impact of drones on aircraft during the extended summer to which he referred?

• Mr Hayes
    I have talked about the critical role of the CAA and about the existing restrictions around airports, so there are two points there: first, to ensure that the law is in the right place; and, secondly, to ensure that enforcement is adequate. As it is about both those things, airports in particular, but also other critical national infrastructure, will of course need to be taken into account in our consultation response and any further measures that we might consider.

Shakespeare said in “Henry V”:
    “All things are ready if our minds be so”,

and our mind is ready to take further action. Tennyson, the great Lincolnshire poet, said:

“dream not that the hours will last”,

Personally I have no problem with registration, however, only the good guys will comply, and they do not cause a problem anyway, and it would not be policed properly(they have better things to do)
I also have no problem with having some form of test of competency. Toy drones should be excluded, and not wishing to denigrate the "Spark", but this level of drone should also be exempt, and no I do not class the Spark as a toy drone.
Regulation is coming we should embrace it and try and adapt it to our needs.
This is a UK posting.

Reactions: Gary Cooper
The courts in the US overturned the previous FAA mandatory registration in the US. Maybe a similar thing for you guys.

Registration doesn't seem to prevent anybody from doing anything.
It may help to assist in assigning blame after the fact but if your goal is to prevent something from happening, spend your money elsewhere.

All down to idiots deciding to fly too close to Airports or in the flight paths,
Planes were diverted from East Midlands Airport this week due to someone flying too close.

All down to idiots deciding to fly too close to Airports or in the flight paths,
Planes were diverted from East Midlands Airport this week due to someone flying too close.
And registration will do what to prevent this?
It's all about politicians doing something .. but not achieving anything.
And will it have any effect on the numbers of close encounters with all those UFOs/drones that pilots keep seeing at 10000+ft?

I can't see how it makes a difference if its registered in all honesty. I mean.. Let's say I registered... Then I flew illegally... How are they going to get my drone registration number flying fast at 200 metres? Only way is to follow the drone and see where it lands... That's the only way it can be done regardless of being registered or not. My only concern is the geofencing being expanded. I fly by the Thames at a low level. If the geofence gets put in place then I will use litchi.

The safety test will be a great money spinner for who ever runs them or will they be free ??? Don't think so

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT