UK Insurance

phantomman said:
phantomman said:
chopperflyer said:
With regard's to having a fly away I am not to sure about. The best thing is to give the BMFA a ring with your problem and ask them, they are very helpful in all matter's regarding flying and can send any CAA ruling that you need. I do not want to go to far in saying about the BMFA or people will start thinking I am trying to get new member's for them, as you can see a message was put on this page for help with insurance and I just re-plied with what bit I know and use. All I can say is as a member the news letter that is sent to us about 4 times a year has all the updates with ruling from the CAA, all this is also on line. I know that FPV do insurance as well because I was using it to start with until the BMFA included in my insurance with them. I have heard that people that did get fly away, managed to claim on the insurance, but please do not quote me as this is what goes around at club meet's, the best answer is to ring them, the number is on line at their web site plus any info you want before hand. I can look and see what they have about flying UAV's.

You have the chairman of FPV UK in this thread telling you the information first hand :)

With FPV; the BMFA had zero knowledge of the subject matter. The CAA suggested anyone flying FPV should use a buddy lead. BMFA just agreed. Didn't put up a fight, didn't propose any other alternative suggestions, just agreed and told their members that's how it was. Clearly buddy leads for every FPV flight is totally impractical and nobody would really have complied.

FPV UK came along, kicked up a fuss (19 MPs complained to the Minister for Transport), worked with the CAA for 3 years, got an exemption issued for its members - no buddy leads when flying FPV. Then the BMFA management were put under pressure by their members and wanted in on the exemption.

If you want to be part of an organisation focused on freeflight and control line models who know next to nothing about FPV (at last year's meeting both their Technical Manager and Chairman admitted they'd never tried FPV) and I'm sure the same is true of multirotors - then go with the BMFA. (You get a magazine about freeflight/ control lines 4 times a year).

If you want a forward thinking association that's a third or a half of the price and actually gets the CAA to change things for the better - go with FPV UK :)

I will be attending the annual CAA meeting 26/11 in London and standing up for FPV and Multirotor pilots. Something BMFA know almost nothing about...

Sometime ago I looked into the BMFA and its local clubs and realised they really weren't for me. I just wanted to have a liability insurance and when I saw Simon's FPV insurance link my problem was solved. Paid and got the certificate instantly! Brilliant! Thank You Simon! :mrgreen:

Out of interest, is the CAA Exemption to Article 166(3) of the Air Navigation Order still current as it seems to not exist on the CAA web site?

Tissy said:
Out of interest, is the CAA Exemption to Article 166(3) of the Air Navigation Order still current as it seems to not exist on the CAA web site?

Yes it is still in place. Also we agreed with the CAA today to extend the exemption for another year and increase the weight limit to 3.5kg for all aircraft types and increase the altitude limit to 1000ft. This will take effect from the renewal date in March 2014.

See my blog for full details here: http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/blog/q ... arch-2014/

Thank you Simon, I couldn't find the exemption notice on the CAA site.

Good work pushing those boundaries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.