UAV use by First Responders / Search and Rescue and battery management

Reaction score
I am interested in knowing what folks in these fields do regarding battery management - in this case Phantom 4 batteries - in order to maximize battery health per DJI's recommendations - while at the same time, having the UAV available on short notice for an incident that may arise.
The back story is that I have my original P4 with 4 batteries, and I have always been very meticulous when it comes to battery management. I have the self drain time set to 3 days on each battery for cases where weather and other factors disallow flying when I intended to, and when I do fly, I rarely run a battery down below 40%.
I have an upcoming opportunity to demo my P4 to my Town's Emergency Management in order to give them an idea of the technology and possibly use it toward training users to safely and properly use a UAV in this field, and this could lead to them purchasing a more complex system that is better equipped for their needs, but even so, this question of battery management would still apply, and I want to be able to discuss this accurately based on the procedures of others.
I am Part 107 rated.

If possible, try to keep one battery, in rotation, fully charged at all times. Set it to 10 day discharge. The other batteries can be brought up to full charge (with multi battery fast charger) while flying the charged battery. This can even be done in the field with an AC/DC inverter for your vehicle. Works the same with multiple UAV’s.
Hope they appreciate your teaching. ?

Reactions: Brockrock
If possible, try to keep one battery, in rotation, fully charged at all times. Set it to 10 day discharge. The other batteries can be brought up to full charge (with multi battery fast charger) while flying the charged battery. This can even be done in the field with an AC/DC inverter for your vehicle. Works the same with multiple UAV’s.
Hope they appreciate your teaching. ?
Thank you. That pretty much reinforces what I was thinking. Good advice.

Reactions: Capt KO
I have two Mavic Enterprises (a Dual and a Zoom), each with 4 batteries that I am on call to respond with 24/7. I have them set for 10 day discharge and keep them on a 4 hub charger at home. Every three days I unplug the charger, and plug it back in to top off the batteries.

I have a good power inverter in my vehicle and as soon as I get in to respond, I put batteries on the charger to top them off. During the day I am usually using the Zoom, at night, the Dual with the FLIR, so I have 8 batteries to use. By keeping batteries on the charger, I have enough to fly indefinitely. Also have to keep iPads (I have 4) and controllers in mind.

I have two Mavic Enterprises (a Dual and a Zoom), each with 4 batteries that I am on call to respond with 24/7. I have them set for 10 day discharge and keep them on a 4 hub charger at home. Every three days I unplug the charger, and plug it back in to top off the batteries.

I have a good power inverter in my vehicle and as soon as I get in to respond, I put batteries on the charger to top them off. During the day I am usually using the Zoom, at night, the Dual with the FLIR, so I have 8 batteries to use. By keeping batteries on the charger, I have enough to fly indefinitely. Also have to keep iPads (I have 4) and controllers in mind.
Thank you for the info. I think they would end up dedicating a storage bay on one of the response vehicle's to transporting the UAV as well as battery support in the field, so I am going to start looking at multi charger options that charge all the batts simultaneously. Between having that installed in the truck and the advice above from you folks, I think they would be in pretty good shape.

Reactions: kbviper and Capt KO

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31