UAV bits Camera guard

Reaction score
Still waiting for mine as i am in the UK, anyone got one yet and care to share any thoughts on them.

I got mine last week - seems well made, very light. Attaches very easily. Only wish the price were a little lower.

Ordered on last week at the same time I ordered other thing from other suppliers. Everything else has arrived but not the guard.

got mine last week--

Got mine a while ago and it seems ok. It's thinner and less material than the old P2V+ one I had from the same place but seems good. I am really glad to have it.

Got mine last week also. Installation was easy and the guard feels robust but not heavy. I see they offer a white one now, for more of course.

I had a UAVbits for my Phantom 2 V+ and loved it. It helped save the gimbal and camera a couple of times...I would hope that the P3 version will do the same when called upon.

I see they offer a white one now, for more of course.
I have mine on the way and was planning on painting it. I believe they are made out of plastic so model paint should do it. Perhaps I will paint it international orange, that has been determined to be the most visible color in aviation so it should help in spotting the phantom in flight.

I have mine on the way and was planning on painting it. I believe they are made out of plastic so model paint should do it. Perhaps I will paint it international orange, that has been determined to be the most visible color in aviation so it should help in spotting the phantom in flight.

They are made out of carbon fiber. Either way model paint with a sealer should work well.

Just got mine today, it seems i ordered 2 by mistake Lol, if anyone in the UK wants the other one which is obviously brand new and never used i will sell it and post it to them for 35 pound, just PM me.

Reactions: Fplvert
35 quid .....is steep for a small bit of carbon fiber......regardless of what its for don't you think.

35 quid .....is steep for a small bit of carbon fiber......regardless of what its for don't you think.
Until it saves a 500 £ camera, gimbal cable and gimbal

Are they that good ? I see they also sell an inertia guard which they say protects from the most common cause for camera ribbon and gimbal breakages during inpact.

Received my gimbal guard last week...shipped immediately and had it within 2 days. Carbon fiber, weighs practically nothing. Very strong, but does have some degree of flex to it. Included 4 zip ties to attach it, though it only requires two. Install took about 90 seconds. They even included an Andes mint in the package, which my wife promptly stole. :)

I would say that this would have a good chance to save the camera/gimbal if your quad had a lateral hit where it landed on one of the legs as it would help prevent the leg from flexing/bending inward, thereby not allowing the camera to contact the ground. One caveat is that you are effectively tying both landing gear together and a crash could result in damaging BOTH landing gear if one side took the hit. Landing gear < camera/gimbal though.

It protects from the bottom as well, but has enough flex to it that a direct hit from the bottom directly on the guard could potentially drive the guard up into the camera to a degree, which could still result in damage, though definitely less than you'd have if the cam took a direct and unprotected shot from underneath.

Overall it seems very well made, and I wish I had purchased before I had my p3 crash.

I paid more, half the cost for any uk guys is delivery from USA of course. Is it expensive, only you can be the judge of that with the cost of it against the camera and will or wont it save the camera on a hard landing or not. Its a 35 pound gamble basically. I took the gamble.

I received it couple of days ago but I didn't fix it yet. Actually I'm still having concerns about guard/sensors and camera at the bottom of P3. I am not confident that it's not effecting that. What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does this guard remove easily? I ask this because it looks like it would interfere with many of the transport boxes/foam inserts for the P3. Does it HAVE to be 'zip tied' to be effective?

Stilgar

Does this guard remove easily? I ask this because it looks like it would interfere with many of the transport boxes/foam inserts for the P3. Does it HAVE to be 'zip tied' to be effective?

Stilgar
No, it does not need to be zip tied to stay in place. You have to spread the landing gear a bit to install it and once in place, the legs will hold it in place. There are notches on the guard that will keep it from shifting around as well.

That being said, not securing it somehow would probably mean it would fly off in a crash, defeating it's own purpose. Perhaps you could use some reusable industrial-strength velcro strips to secure it. Come to think of it, might try that myself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic