U.S. Department of Transportation Issues Two Much-Anticipated Drone Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The new rules for remote ID and flying over people and at night are out.

Remote ID:
https://www.faa.gov/news/media/attachments/RemoteID_Executive_Summary.pdf

Over people & night operations:
https://www.faa.gov/news/media/attachments/OOP_Executive_Summary.pdf

The full rule:
https://www.faa.gov/news/media/attachments/OOP_Final Rule.pdf

Of note is the deleting of Remote ID being broadcast over the internet:

" Network-based / Internet transmission requirements have been eliminated. The final rule
contains Broadcast-only requirements."

We had advance copies supplied by the FAA, so if you don't feel like reading all 750 pages of the final rules (which I did over the weekend), here you go. We put out article summaries.

Do they provide an estimate for when it will be entered into the Federal Register so we have an idea when the new recurrent online training goes into effect? My certification is about to go out of currency and don’t want to sit for the test if it will soon be obsolete.

(are they administering in person tests yet? I got the online extension about six months ago. That’s what’s about to expire)

Thanks
Bill

Bill,

I'm unaware that Part 107 testing changed. Yes, earlier this year expiring certificates were given an extension. But that's all I know of.

AFAIK (and I know I'll be corrected if wrong) only Hobby/Rec flyers get the new on-line test. Part 61 pilots (with a valid biannual flight review) only had to do an on-line (FAA Safety) course / test for initial and renewal.

The PSI testing centers, yes most should be open now.

So my understanding is that the UA must broadcast the information listed in the directive, but not via the Internet nor to anyone in particular?

It will be interesting to see what reftrofit devices might become available for older aircraft, and their cost. One problem might be that the market for retrofit devices will be very limited (consisting only of drones old enough to require it) and any potential vendors may not consider it worth development costs. I suppose one other market might be hobbyist-assembled UAs.

Bill,

I'm unaware that Part 107 testing changed. Yes, earlier this year expiring certificates were given an extension. But that's all I know of.

AFAIK (and I know I'll be corrected if wrong) only Hobby/Rec flyers get the new on-line test. Part 61 pilots (with a valid biannual flight review) only had to do an on-line (FAA Safety) course / test for initial and renewal.

But the article you posted says this:

One other nugget.

107.65 Recurrent requirements:

No more scheduling your 107.65 recurrent in-person test. The FAA has determined that training be required every 24 months instead of actual testing. And that will include the night ops knowledge. However, there will no longer be a different set of questions between the initial and recurrent test or training. All subjects on the initial test will be covered in the recurrent training.

This training will ensure that Remote Pilots will maintain familiarity with sUAS operations. An additional benefit is that this will be done online which provides a cost free option. It also allows more flexibility when the FAA feels the need to adapt training for regulatory or technological advances in the UAS industry.

45 days after publication, the FAA will provide free online recurrent training for all remote pilots.

Bill,

Also, the FAA exec summary says this:

Remote Pilot knowledge test changes

The final rule updates the initial Remote Pilot knowledge test to include night subject areas. Additionally, the final rule replaces the requirement to complete an in-person recurrent test every 24 calendar months. The updated requirement is for remote pilots to complete online recurrent training which will include night subject areas. The online recurrent training will be offered free of charge to remote pilots.

Dang, I missed that part. My bad and sorry for the confusion.
No problem. And I incorrectly attributed the posting of the article to you. Sorry about that bit of confusion.

Sorry guys this was posted earlier .Let’s try and look
to see if it has already been posted to keep it all to together .
Repost in that thread if you like.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.