Two Problems with New P4

Reaction score
Just bought a new P4 to use while my main one is in the shop. Having two major issues, both from the very first flight.

1. Bird drifting when hovering. A good distance too.

2. Can't fly a straight line. If I put throttle straight up I start in a straight line and after about 10 seconds I start veering off, mainly to the left and it stays in this pattern further I go.

Any suggestions as to how I might solve before returning for exchange? I did Compass and Controller calibrations... Also on a side note, both sets of props had a yellowish/greenish color to them like when you leave something out in the sun. They do not look warped or damaged in anyway. Thanks.

Not sure what to make of the props being colored like that but if by some chance any of them are aged or could have varying amounts of flex to them, the ESC's should adjust speed to compensate and keep the bird stable and on course. Don't believe that would be a problem other than concerns of them eventually coming apart.

You mentioned you did a compass and controller calibration. Have you done an IMU calibration yet? Make sure she is level and away from anything metal.

Not sure what to make of the props being colored like that but if by some chance any of them are aged or could have varying amounts of flex to them, the ESC's should adjust speed to compensate and keep the bird stable and on course. Don't believe that would be a problem other than concerns of them eventually coming apart.

You mentioned you did a compass and controller calibration. Have you done an IMU calibration yet? Make sure she is level and away from anything metal.
No that's my next step..Thanks.

Having two major issues, both from the very first flight.

2. Can't fly a straight line. If I put throttle straight up I start in a straight line and after about 10 seconds I start veering off, mainly to the left and it stays in this pattern further I go.

Any suggestions as to how I might solve before returning for exchange?.

During your IMU calibration, being level is important, but there's no need to worry about metal objects. It's helpful to chill the craft during IMU calibration, this helps get you in the air faster, each time you fly.

During compass calibration you do need to be away from metal. It's best to be out in a field, away from structures of any kind. No need to recalibrate unless you launch over 100 miles from the last calibration location.

I think an IMU calibration will help your flight issues. While your doing that do a gimbal calibration too while it's level.

Last edited:
Yes IMU calibration seems needed.

About the yellowish tint, I noticed that the main set I use for flying and clean after each flight are actually whiter than my spare ones, so either some layer left at the factory or just the way it 'ages'. But if you clean them with a damp cloth they get white.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I just noticed issue number 2 Wednesday afternoon, I do not have issue 1, my P4 is like it's glued on the sky.

I was thinking I should do an IMU calibration, as John Locked stated it is important for the aircraft to being leveled and a cold IMU. I am not going to chill the bird, Lol. I have performed room temperature IMU calibrations on my P3P, within the second I'm up in the air.

I just bought the P4 last month and do not want to send it in to DJI in fears I am going to receive a refurbished, some body else's P4 with other issues.

There is a noticeable difference if you chill the bird!

I put my P4 in the fridge for an hour and then did the IMU. It starts right up here in Arizona!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

There is a noticeable difference if you chill the bird!

I put my P4 in the fridge for an hour and then did the IMU. It starts right up here in Arizona!
Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Why not, I'm open minded. I will give it a try. Hope the IMU calibration fixes the "Can't fly a straight line issue. After about 10 seconds it would start veering off to the left".

When this happened I was at my local park practicing "course lock" and thought it had something to do with it.

I just bought the P4 last month and do not want to send it in to DJI in fears I am going to receive a refurbished, some body else's P4 with other issues.

When I sent my P4 into DJI for the yoyo problem, they exchanged my craft for a brand new one. It was pristine new, shiney, had stickers on it, not even a fingerprint. I looked it over with a magnifying glass, couldn't find any signs it was previously touched, much less flown. I'm not sure they ship refurbs unless the returned craft was crashed. My craft was in excellent condition when I returned it. I haven't read about anyone saying.... "the craft is a different serial number than I sent in, and it's got scratches, mars, obviously not new". I have read a lot of cynical comments about fears of refurbs from DJI, but I haven't seen evidence or testimonials of this actually happening, unless I missed something.

Funny thing is, I found out later my 60' YOYO problem was likely caused by a gimbal guard I installed. However when I returned the craft they said to remove all accessories, so I did. When they got the craft it was likely just fine, yet they replaced it. My flight records I provided them apparently showed a problem in navigation, showing the 60' YOYO,up and down, with no stick input. However they didn't know it had a gimbal guard installed, which messed with the VPS..... which I found out about after I got the new craft.

Just bought a new P4 to use while my main one is in the shop. Having two major issues, both from the very first flight.

Any suggestions as to how I might solve before returning for exchange? I did Compass and Controller calibrations... Also on a side note, both sets of props had a yellowish/greenish color to them like when you leave something out in the sun. They do not look warped or damaged in anyway. Thanks.

As per DJI's tech support, this is what I told I should regarding issue number 2 above.
DJI P4 Response.JPG

Calibrated IMU, Gimbal, Compass and didn't make a single bit of difference. Doing the EXACT SAME THING. Assuming it's time to return for exchange?

Well to add insult to injury went to charge the Radio Controller and it won't charge. White light blinks in first position and can't App says battery at 1% (was using another controller before).

So, it's on it's way back. DJI really needs to deal with quality control. This is not the first P4 I've returned in my quest to find two good ones.

So, it's on it's way back. DJI really needs to deal with quality control. This is not the first P4 I've returned in my quest to find two good ones.

Are you returning it or sent it to DJI?

During compass calibration you do need to be away from metal. It's best to be out in a field, away from structures of any kind. No need to recalibrate unless you launch over 100 miles from the last calibration location.

I get a message saying to calibrate the compass on pretty much every battery change and each new day, even when flying from the same spot. The craft doesn't move more than about 30 feet overnight.

No problems with the drone itself but could that constant "recalibration" notice be from the local wire and building interference near me?

AD

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart