Tutorial: How to get the MAC address of a new camera

Reaction score
I recently had to replace the camera+gimbal on my Phantom Vision 2+, and had trouble getting the new camera's MAC address, so I could rebind it to my controller's range extender. Others have had the same problem - so here's a quick explanation of one way to do this.

You may see instructions telling you to scan a QR code that's labeled on the Phantom Vision 2+ packaging, or on the camera itself. That won't work, because although there is a label (with a QR code) on the camera, this label and QR code encodes only the camera's serial number, *not* the camera's MAC address.

It should be possible, in principle, to ask DJI to tell you the MAC address for the camera, after telling them the serial number. DJI presumably has a database that allows them to look up properties of the camera (such as its MAC address), given its serial number. However, I had no luck when I asked DJI about this. When I emailed "[email protected]", the responder seemed confused about my question, and eventually gave me the (incorrect) advice to scan a QR code that's on the camera. When I emailed "[email protected]" and "[email protected]", I got no response after at least 24 hours. (Other people, however, have reported having better luck in getting an answer from DJI.)

Turn on the Phantom Vision 2+, but *not* the controller's Range Extender.

When you power on the Phantom Vision 2+ its camera's WiFi interface starts up by creating a 'hidden' network - i.e., one that does not have an announced network name (SSID). Therefore, most WiFi scans will not see the camera's WiFi interface. Instead, you will need to use a special WiFi scan that reveals hidden networks.

For the Mac, some people have reported that the "KisMAC" application will show hidden networks. However, I was *not* able to get this application to see the Phantom Vision 2+'s camera, and to date I do not know of a Mac application that will so this.

For Windows, however, I was able to discover the Phantom Vision 2+'s camera by using a Windows XP laptop, and running its normal WiFi scanning tool:
Wireless Connection Status -> Find WLAN -> click the "Show Details" checkbox
(This may or may not work for computers running newer versions of Windows. Of course, it'll need to have a WiFi interface.)

You should see (perhaps after waiting a few seconds) an "open network" with no network name, and a MAC address that begins with 60:60:1F.

Then, turn on your controller's Range Extender. (If you're still scanning for WiFi networks, you'll see the Range Extender's WiFi network. This (unlike the camera's hidden WiFi network) will have a name, beginning with "Phantom_".)

Then, run the "DJI Vision" app on your smartphone or tablet. Click "Settings", then "Binding". Under "New Camera", you'll see a menu item labeled "MAC Address". Click this, enter the new camera's MAC address, then click the 'tick' box in the upper-right corner to complete the binding.

Ross.

Reactions: Brownie63
:shock:
Okeeeeeee,
I put the camera and gimbal from my other vision plus to my new vision plus for testing and everything works fine :)
Later I install the original camera and gimbal back and all works also fine. :cool:
No Mac adres or anything used.

M.Tigelaar said:
Okeeeeeee,
I put the camera and gimbal from my other vision plus to my new vision plus for testing and everything works fine :)
Later I install the original camera and gimbal back and all works also fine. :cool:

Which RC (and extender) did you use?

AnselA said:
M.Tigelaar said:
Okeeeeeee,

I used the RC and extender of the new Phantom on the old camera and gimbal, and on the new camera and gimbal.
everything worked fine :)

M.Tigelaar said:
AnselA said:
M.Tigelaar said:
Okeeeeeee,

I used the RC and extender of the new Phantom on the old camera and gimbal, and on the new camera and gimbal.
everything worked fine :)

Can you control both cameras at the same time?

I don't no, one phantom is dead for the moment. :roll:
Therefore, I tested the old camera and gimbal on the new phantom ;)

I use Android 4.4 and a free app called Wifi Analyzer to scan hidden SSID and MAC address. I think MAC address binding is associated with Wifi module (like any wired/wireless network adapter) residing inside P2V+ aircraft instead of camera, though I have never tried/changed P2V+ camera.

Attachments

• P2V+ CH-11.png
    P2V+ CH-11.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,895
That sounds reasonable, that's probably why it works for me.
So the extender connect to the wifi box inside the vision plus,
you can simply place a new camera and gimbal without any problem like I do.

M.Tigelaar said:
Okeeeeeee,

Yes.

I was also able to just connect my new PV2+ camera without any binding necessary.

wharfbanger said:
M.Tigelaar said:
Okeeeeeee,

Yes.

I was also able to just connect my new PV2+ camera without any binding necessary.

P2V+ user manual page 32-33 instructs binding extender with camera's MAC address. Documentation error again?

Page 31 states:

6.4 Binding the Phantom 2 Vision + and the Range Extender
If the connection between the Phantom 2 Vision + and the Range Extender fails, or one of them needs to be repaired or replaced, a camera and Range Extender binding will need to be performed through the DJI VISION App.

Camera replacements are plug and play and do not need re-binding.

I know this to be true because I recently had to replace a camera/gimbal (unfrickenfortunately) and I didn't have to re-bind. I simply replaced the camera assembly, connected everything, and it worked. I was confused by the other posts saying you had to re-bind, and was searching for why I didn't have to and kept trying to re-bind only to find out that the MAC address in the hidden network was the same as the MAC address in the binding area of the app.

After my experience and reading the manual (thanks AnselA), it seems to only be a requirement if the binding is broken (from malfunction) between the RE and the Vision +, not a camera replacement. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to steer people the wrong way.

You are correct. :D

I fiddled with the procedure for some time, but eventually did manage to get the new camera to bind with the Vision app. Prior to the new camera being bound, the app would not work. I found that I had to enter in the MAC address info a few times before it stuck. Be sure to select the "check" arrows on the binding pages (there are 2), and you may have to completely close down the app and reopen it to see the changes. Trying to scan the QR codes just gave "invalid QR code" results.

Thanks for the info!

regards, Guy

Thanks for this! Although it didn't work for me it did lead me to a solution.

Suggestion if the above doesn't work for you.

I downloaded an Android app from the Play Store called Wifi Analyzer.

This was the only thing I found after several attempts that showed me the MAC address of the camera.

I bought the Phantom 2 Vision used and the original box was MIA and I had no other way to get the code. Emailing DJI may work but after 3 days of waiting I found my own solution. Enter the MAC address manually, everything synced up and I'm finally flying with everything synced up!

Stoked! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic