travelling case/backpack

I had previously mentioned I liked my $59 eBay backpack and it had worked out great. I'm not as happy with it now. I had one strap slung over my shoulder carrying it when the strap broke. This could have been a disaster if I was climbing around the Arizona rocks and mountains like I often do. I'll be much more careful relying on the straps, either repair it or just use the hand strap.
To do it over I would buy a much more expensive better quality probably US made backpack.

Pelican makes a case that will supposedly fit the copter and various accessories (but you will have to cut the foam yourself, or find a Pelican rebrand). They also claim it is suited for carry-on (the 1650 and 1690, I think). B&H Photo Video sells a "backpack harness" for it.

So, while the Pelican is not light (it also isn't what I would call extremely heavy), it might be suited for someone who wants something more protective than a soft case.

I am not basing this off experience - our Pelican is a massive case designed to fit (permanently mounted) our 24" FPV, iPad, two remotes and a bigger than normal Phantom 2, so, I have no experience with their smaller cases. YMMV, and their claims of "carry on" might as well.

On the "carry on" note, I have found that some airlines seem to have some differences in how they measure - inotherwords, though they claim the same dimensions, in practice, some actually give you a little less space than promised.

Fyod said:
Vanguard Excenior 62. It is bulky, but it fits everything I have and is very protective.
I can even fit the Phantom with props installed, just in a different configuration.

cEDDjBGl.jpg
This looks really cool. I wish they had a similarly sized back pack.

I'm sure it could be made to have shoulder straps, something like the golf bag addon kind, but less padding.
Even with all the stuff the whole pack is very light and can be carried in one hand.

I just bought a case, but it dosent fit my fc40 because i have gimbal on.
Do you know any cases that fit a fc40 with gimbal??

I always say that you get what you pay for. When it comes to carrying potentially thousands of dollars of equipment around, I will not hesitate spending a few extra $$$ for a good quality case. I have several Pelican cases that I use to carry everything from firearms, camera equipment, to drones. The one I use for my Phantoms is the Pelican 1610. I did buy the Firebolt quick connects for the prop guards since the guards don't fit in the case attached to the drone. I get them with just the standard block of foam inside. No pick and pluck for me. Lay your Phantom on top of the foam upside down and trace around the border of the drone with a sharpie marker. To cut the foam I use an electric fillet knife. It will give you a nice clean cut that looks like it was factory cut for your drone. My cases all have wheels for transporting easier, Pelicans are not light weight, but not heavy either. I have never had a problem with airports and carrying them onto a plane, but I guess every plane is different and you never know. The Pelican 1610 holds my PV2+, the control with wifi booster, extra props, 4 batteries, a small tablet, etc. Oh, and you do not have to remove the props from the bird either. Just make sure you don't close the lid on one sticking out. Bottom line is, for me, I say spend the extra $200+ or - on a good case so you wont be sorry and wishing you did down the road.

My backpack has finally arrived and so far I like it. The build quality seems very good and it fits the phantom with some room left over. It's meant for an SLR so you can configure it any way you like with the provided dividers. Here's how I configured it.

Attachments

• backpack1.jpg
    backpack1.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 440
  • backpack2.jpg
    backpack2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 445
  • backpack3.jpg
    backpack3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 477
  • backpack4.jpg
    backpack4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 482
  • backpack5.jpg
    backpack5.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 434
http://goprofessionalcases.com/shopcase ... ck-53.html

I was eyeing this ... 5.11 tactical is great quality imo combined with insert very well designed and will hold resale value very well if i ever resold. ( after getting inspire 1 ) lol.

lastly when transporting the phantom with gimbal installed, should the go pro be removed and does the gimbal get damaged being vertical when backpack is worn? does anyone recommend where to buy a gimbal lock?

I posted this a few weeks ago. I already have the hard case from go professionals and did not want to spend the money or swap my gear back and forth. So I picked up an old school back pack, removed all the fabric and it now straps on with two bungee cords. Fits perfect.

IMG_3949.jpg

capodrone81 said:
http://goprofessionalcases.com/shopcases/dji-phantom-cases/gpc-dji-phantom-2-backpack-53.html

I was eyeing this ... 5.11 tactical is great quality imo combined with insert very well designed and will hold resale value very well if i ever resold. ( after getting inspire 1 ) lol.

lastly when transporting the phantom with gimbal installed, should the go pro be removed and does the gimbal get damaged being vertical when backpack is worn? does anyone recommend where to buy a gimbal lock?
I have this backpack. I leave the GoPro installed 100% of the time. I have no reason to remove it. No damage so far. The gimbal lock I've been using works like a charm.

I use a Shapeways gimbal lock that I like very much and it was only $10. It's not the most secure gimbal lock, but that's why I got it. It comes on and off easily, but only when I want it to. It's never come off by itself before.

I didn't like this one because I don't have a clothing pin and didn't want to go buy one.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2050481 ... terialId=6

I like this one, but it was just 2x the price of the other one.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2292472 ... terialId=6

This is the one I got. Good reviews on the page if you scroll to the bottom. Works great for me so far.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2707177 ... erialId=62

dptcalvin said:
capodrone81 said:
http://goprofessionalcases.com/shopcases/dji-phantom-cases/gpc-dji-phantom-2-backpack-53.html

I have this backpack. I leave the GoPro installed 100% of the time. I have no reason to remove it. No damage so far. The gimbal lock I've been using works like a charm.

I use a Shapeways gimbal lock that I like very much and it was only $10. It's not the most secure gimbal lock, but that's why I got it. It comes on and off easily, but only when I want it to. It's never come off by itself before.

I didn't like this one because I don't have a clothing pin and didn't want to go buy one.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2050481 ... terialId=6

I like this one, but it was just 2x the price of the other one.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2292472 ... terialId=6

This is the one I got. Good reviews on the page if you scroll to the bottom. Works great for me so far.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2707177 ... erialId=62
Love that shapeways site just bought the same gimball lock as you and the go pro lense cover for transportation. ? Cant wait for items to come in 2 weeks shipping time though :roll:

Yah, it's a cool site. Lots of neat stuff. Though things aren't necessarily regulated there, so not everything may work as advertised. That's why we have reviews.

Is it legal to take it up in then plane as hans luggage? Even with the Lipo in the case??
Your LiPos must be carried on. I fly for a major package delivery company and we've lost two planes and two pilots due to LiPo batteries. The reason you should carry your batteries onboard an airline flight is that if they start on fire, the crew can take some measures to put them out. If they start up in your checked on luggage down in the belly, there's nothing that can be done to put them out.

In our yearly simulator flight training we are given a cargo fire to deal with. We shoot for getting the plane on the ground from cruise altitude within 12-15 minutes. Statistically, if the plane is not put on the ground within that timeframe, you're dead. Even though passenger planes have fire distinguishing systems, they have no effect in LiPos. If your Phantom batts are in your checked luggage and they start on fire, you better hope your flight crew can get the plane on the ground within 12-15 minutes. Please don't put your flight crew and fellow passengers in that position!

Captain7576 said:
Is it legal to take it up in then plane as hans luggage? Even with the Lipo in the case??
Your LiPos must be carried on. I fly for a major package delivery company and we've lost two planes and two pilots due to LiPo batteries. The reason you should carry your batteries onboard an airline flight is that if they start on fire, the crew can take some measures to put them out. If they start up in your checked on luggage down in the belly, there's nothing that can be done to put them out.

In our yearly simulator flight training we are given a cargo fire to deal with. We shoot for getting the plane on the ground from cruise altitude within 12-15 minutes. Statistically, if the plane is not put on the ground within that timeframe, you're dead. Even though passenger planes have fire distinguishing systems, they have no effect in LiPos. If your Phantom batts are in your checked luggage and they start on fire, you better hope your flight crew can get the plane on the ground within 12-15 minutes. Please don't put your flight crew and fellow passengers in that position!

I've seen lipos go up in flames in an open field. Its like a smoke bomb. I cant imagine what would happen on a plane.

Anyways.. back on topic.
I prefer the backpack over the case for travel, especially for hikes and treks.

I got a Fancier padded camera backpack.
Fits both vision + and Non vision controllers.
Pictured is with 3 + 1 batt in the phantom, tool kit, and sunshield, prop guards strapped on the outside.
Phantom%202%20backpack%201.jpg

Phantom%202%20Backpack2.jpg

Has its own raincoat in a hidden compartment.
It fits in an overhead and perfect for carry on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik