Traveling with Phantom : custom policies

Reaction score
ECUADOR

I just flew into Ecuador with my Phantom (as I did before). This time I was called out by customs because of my "drone". While personal items like cameras are exempt from paying import duty, a flying camera aka drone is not part of the custom form that might have been created before multicopter where invented.
I was able to convince customs after about 3 hours, that I am an aspiring aerial photographer, preparing his pro business and I was able to proof that I am flying to Europe in September. Finally they allowed me to temporarely bring it in.
Asking what the usual process is I was informed, that drones are now a daily part of custom and they usually apply ~45% of the overall perceived value as duty and tax payments. I was told that about 80% of tourists coming into Ecuador are giving in and paying the fee before they are allowed to enter the country with their drone. I am very dissapointed by this and started this thread to see what's going on in other countries, after we heard recently about Thailand. Perhaps a better form can be found by the administrator to create a list with current experiences with customs agencies while traveling, sorted by countries.. ( subfolders per country?). It seems more countries are starting to create problems for us to travel with our birds.

This is interesting. I just got back filming from the Bahamas. Nothing was ever mentioned at customs. Not even a peep so I, think it's on a case by case basis. Was nervous but nothing ever came up.

Good tip, THANKS! Looks like I'll add Ecuador to the "do not visit" category in my country bucket list. It's all about the money, and I'm not willing to part with it just because some idiot politician in another country thinks they can rip off tourists for no good reason. It's a friggen flying camera, get over it already.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
This is why I have my buddies calls into customs before I land ... They call my name and I walk right through :) I'll be in Egypt in a week... Some epic videos to come ... Assuming I don't wreck my drone while there...
Tell us your story with egypt customes

Tell us your story with egypt customes
Ill be in Egypt on a week to, im wondering if its legal to fly there, as i search all the webs and youtube, theres not even 1 video shows that they flow on Egypt , pyramid , only one video in sharam al chaikh area,?,???

Do you have any information , as i face money trouble with their dumps polices on airports ?,

This is why I have my buddies calls into customs before I land ... They call my name and I walk right through :) I'll be in Egypt in a week... Some epic videos to come ... Assuming I don't wreck my drone while there...
Ill be in Egypt on a week to, im wondering if its legal to fly there, as i search all the webs and youtube, theres not even 1 video shows that they flow on Egypt , pyramid , only one video in sharam al chaikh area,?,???

Do you have any information , as i face money trouble with their dumps polices on airports?!?!

Ecuador does not have the money and is in political mess you should make sure to go to the Galapagos Islands and get the most epic video ever

Yeah it's too bad, I've heard the Galapagos islands is epic. Unfortunately it's now in my "do not visit country" category since its part of Ecuador, until their tourist rip off scheme stops. Holding tourists hostage for a $500 payoff after arrival just because they have a flying camera is extortion. Simple deal. I'm not going for it.

I must have gotten lucky last night. I went through Ecuador customs with a P3P and extra batteries all in a specialty backpack and didn't get any trouble. I'm heading to Galapagos! Wooohoooo

I must have gotten lucky last night. I went through Ecuador customs with a P3P and extra batteries all in a specialty backpack and didn't get any trouble. I'm heading to Galapagos! Wooohoooo
That's great, have a great time! So did they open the backpack and see the Phantom, or did you get lucky by them simply letting you through without inspection due to it being late at night (sleeping on the job, so to speak)?

Last edited:
They passed my luggage through x-ray machines but didn't even ask or say anything.
Man please let us updates, im going to Egypt after 4 days
Keep me updated,
U arrived to Cairo airport or where exactly, and tell me where ur planing to flow , pyramid Cairo or where

Soo excited waiting the updates

Cheers man and enjoy

Man please let us updates, im going to Egypt after 4 days
Keep me updated,
U arrived to Cairo airport or where exactly, and tell me where ur planing to flow , pyramid Cairo or where

Soo excited waiting the updates

Cheers man and enjoy

I traveled to Ecuador, not Egypt. Can only tell you my experience in Ecuador. sorry :)

I've flown in and out of ecuador multiple times almost every year for the last 10+ years... and only experienced 1 customs issues... only time something came up was when I flew in with someone who had brought 5 iPhones ( they sell for double there) and they taxed him when they found them. its a import tax... if they suspect you are bringing electronics to sell they will try and tax you... doesnt seem to ludicrous to me.

i'm Peruvian and i must say, if you go to Peru with your phantom you will have to pay import duty, which is a lot based on the price of your phantom (and yes they will check the price on the internet) about 25% o 30% of the price you paid

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic