Traveling with a P2V

Reaction score
Hey All,

How do you go about packing your P2V. I have a nice hard case but I would be concerned about it coming open or items being lost during customs checks. I would lock the case but that would probably not be allowed. I do not know if the case is small enough to carry on. Thoughts?

I would not want to check in my P2V in my case. Pull_Up recently reported that his case was slightly too large for cabin baggage and his is the best of the budget cases (Duratool). I have the Maplin equivalent which is smaller (not as tall) and is a bit of a tight fit and does not have as much protection (above & below) as the Duratool case. Acceptable for carrying around but you have to be careful not to drop it. Even this smaller size might not be acceptable. The problem with the IATA rules is that some carriers vary and it would be a disaster to rock up at the airport only to find your case would not be accepted, this is particularly true for budget/short haul flights. I think if I was flying with my P2V I would invest in a top of the range case with enough protection to safely check it in* (and get one with wheels for ease :)).

Either that or fly first class when they would be flexible and allow your Duratool case in the cabin but then if you could afford to fly first class you would not have a Duratool/Maplin case !

* Do not forget to remove the battery/s and hand carry them.

Thank you for that. I have the GoPro case which is durable and would protect it well I think. My concern is keeping it secure and closed. It only has two latches on the front and without locking it those latches could be pulled open easily. Any thoughts?

nhvtmedic said:
Thank you for that. I have the GoPro case which is durable and would protect it well I think. My concern is keeping it secure and closed. It only has two latches on the front and without locking it those latches could be pulled open easily. Any thoughts?

I got the best case I could find ... and it seems pretty bombproof .. has 2x options one with wheels one without ... as noted above, the last thing you want is rock up to an airport and have to check your lightweight case in, at least with the behemoth I now have I dont really care what they do as I am pretty sure gear will be ok :cool:

http://www.plaberstore.com/en/catalog/detail/hprc2700pha2

I have the same gopro case and the same concern. The case is sturdy but the latches seem like they could open accidently. I would try putting a nut and bolt through the lock holes. Looks to me like there's room for a wing nut. You might also try taping the latches so nothing gets under the release edge. You might also try a couple of mini carabieners through the holes or there are TSA approved locks that they can open for inspection. I'm looking foreword to taking mine to Alaska, if I can ever get it flying. Got it Monday and it only flew in uncontrollable circles. Did all the upgrades with the assistant and now the motors wont start. Going to have a heart to heart with DJI support tomorrow! Have fun

A couple of good straps would do it. Pretty much any case lock is 5 seconds to open for airport staff, so it' s only the case springing open accidentally when they throw it around you have to worry about....

I have a TSA approved lock on my go pro case and unless I fly on a CRJ 200 or smaller it is not a problem,
Since I fly a lot and most of the time one of the first few to board I ask the flight attendant if I could stow it
in the froward closet.
9 times out of 10 it is not problem.
Since I wear black scrubs to fly in. ( the only way to fly) feels like your wearing pajamas and no belt to take off for
TSA and the inside front pocket is perfect for my wallet. ( really had to pickpocket it from there)
And they assume it is medical equipment. :D

Also I have to answer questions about it when they X-ray it. and get the WTF is this look.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl