Traveling to India

Reaction score
Has anybody taken their phantom to India and gotten through customs without any issues?

But on the bright side there is more room on Indian buses than most others in the world :D

1172351.jpg

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
I've not tried yet but as far as I can tell owning a drone isn't banned, outdoor flights are (for civilians and businesses). But there is an increasing market for indoor wedding photos so I doubt that it would be an issue at the border. And there are rumours of a thaw in regs. DGCA announced a few weeks ago that a set of regulations is on the way...
I've been really tempted to bring my P3 out to Uttarakhand this summer but I don't think I'll risk flying so not much point. :(

I've not tried yet but as far as I can tell owning a drone isn't banned, outdoor flights are (for civilians and businesses). But there is an increasing market for indoor wedding photos so I doubt that it would be an issue at the border. And there are rumours of a thaw in regs. DGCA announced a few weeks ago that a set of regulations is on the way...
I've been really tempted to bring my P3 out to Uttarakhand this summer but I don't think I'll risk flying so not much point. :(
Thanks, I didn't even think about the argument that i can fly it indoors. I will make sure to take a printed copy of the DGCA letter as evidence.

I would love to go back to Manikaran, Manali
52868529.jpg
manikaran.jpg
5120215850_bf43cb2d33.jpg
and all up the the Pravati valley from Bhuntar all the way up to Pulga. If only I had a drone 5 years ago. Amazing place.

Reactions: gjoseph
don't fly near yogurt or cury dipped in chicken they might think its a flying chicken

Haha I remember the words baksheesh and rishwat well. And it was always mentioned by the men in uniform ;)

Has anybody taken their phantom to India and gotten through customs without any issues?

Hi,
Did you go to India with your drone? Which part? Did you have any problems at the airport security/ customs?

Im planning to go in January from the UK via Dubai. Landing in Kerala, worried about the customs taking my drone.

How are you all planning on getting your batteries TO India. Will you be sending them ground transport?

Ill take one battery with me along with the drone and have found a dealer where I can purchase more if need be

Ill take one battery with me along with the drone and have found a dealer where I can purchase more if need be
Better make sure your airline will accept LiPo batteries and if so under what containment conditions. Don't want to get to the airport and find out that your battery will have to stay behind.

Better make sure your airline will accept LiPo batteries and if so under what containment conditions. Don't want to get to the airport and find out that your battery will have to stay behind.

Going with Emirates. They don't seem to have any problems with LiPo batteries. Dubai security might. Strangely Dubai Duty Free sell DJI stuff. Will take battery and drone as carry on into cabin. Also have LiPo bag to place them in.

You better double check the info in this thread. I read that DGCA banned drones altogether until rules are in place, which, last I checked, are not in place yet.

You better double check the info in this thread. I read that DGCA banned drones altogether until rules are in place, which, last I checked, are not in place yet.

I have read this thread and the DGCA ban. I not intending to use the phantom in India. Im only going to southern India to visit family and friends and just chill. Not going to any of the touristy sites. Im basically taking the phantom for my trips from India to the Maldives and Madagascar.

Im just worried that when I arrive at the airport some official will claim that it is banned in India and confiscate it. Or some customs guy will get sticky fingers and take it “for security reasons”.

I have written to the Indian Embassy in London asking whether I can take the phantom to India and that I know there is a ban on flying and my intention of not using it. They replied back today with a pdf of the list of things forbidden to take to India. There is no mention of drones. I’ve asked for clarification.

I have also emailed the airport I am landing at and told them the situation and asked what their policy is.

Hopefully if I get an okay from them both and its fine to enter India with a drone, then I will print out their emails and show it to anyone at customs who is asking for a bribe or have sticky fingers and tries to confiscate it.

Ok..... I got an email from the Indian Embassy today. It said the following:

"This is regarding your query about quadcopter carrying to India.

In this regard this is to state that no information regarding any ban on quadcopters by Indian Customs is available. However, it can be considered as a Radio transmitter not approved for normal usage and hence can fall under category restricted.

Moreover permission/ clearance is required from DGCA and MOD regarding usage of quadcopters.

There is a provision for re-export of the item, wherein the person can deposit the item with the Customs for safe custody and later while he is travelling back can take the item back. But this would also be cumbersome process.

Advice will be not to take the item to India.

Best Regards"

Now Im just waiting for a reply from the customs officer at the airport Im landing at.

i've flown in gujarat, east of baroda; dhule; indore; patna; kushinagar; rajgir; varanassi (near assi ghat) and other spots on the ganges; gandak river; and sarnath. only had one brief dust up in customs in delhi - a short conversation with the head of security was all it took to get through. smiles and patience goa (!) long way. i've also flown in nepal, near kathmandu, up in the himalayas near tibet, and in lumbini. bribes were needed in a few spots but i did my best to be friendly and explain to everyone and anyone what i was doing. inviting people to come and watch the screen as i flew always helped.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

if you know ahead of time that you want to do drone videography at particular sites - this ashram, that temple, etc - you will need to know which tourism group covers that area, whether or not UNESCO needs to be contacted, etc., and make efforts to send letters and gather invitations. if you are doing commercial work, journalism, film-making, etc., there is a very complicated process involving the indian film commission, tourism board, various ministries and ministers - as well as the need to have obtained a journalist visa vs tourist.

i've been lucky so far (?) and have had no issue, legally, technically or otherwise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.