Traveling to Europe - Do I need data services for my phone?

Reaction score
So I'm traveling to Italy next week for 3 weeks. I'm bringing my bird with me and I wanted to know if I needed to pay my carrier (AT&T) the ridiculously overpriced data services while I"m there? I don't plan on using my phone to browse the web, make phone calls or anything else I normally do. I'm only going to bring my phone to use it for my wifi FPV setup. I'm quite sure

Any thoughts? Thanks...

Re: Traveling to Europe - Do I need data services for my pho

You dont need data service to use it. I use my wifi only iPad mini without data.

Mori55 said:
You dont need data service to use it. I use my wifi only iPad mini without data.

Awesome, thanks

Mori55 said:
+1

Where in Italy will you be? I spent 10 days there earlier this summer, all in northern Italy. Had a great time flying/filming!

RedRyderMedia said:
Mori55 said:
+1

Where in Italy will you be? I spent 10 days there earlier this summer, all in northern Italy. Had a great time flying/filming!

Oh cool, any tips while flying there? Did you have any issues with the authorities or locals? Did you get some good shots/videos? Would love to see them.

I'll be in the following places:
Rome
Florence
Amalfi Coast
Capri
Sardinia

You don't need a wifi connection to any provider.
A issue could be if you use groundstation and the according maps.
As i was on holiday in Spain last summer i went to a provider for a subscription and wanted to pay. They wanted a traveling visa to prove my identity. That we don't have here and the thing we have ( identity card ) wasn't sufficient. But i had a solution for it.
Some vendors of fast food stuff have free wifi, especially the one that has a circus figure as a mascot works superb.
You don't have to be inside, just near enough to have a connection and you can get the cards needed for free.
So i ended up cheaper then all the hassle with them providers.

ToThePoint said:
You don't need a wifi connection to any provider.
A issue could be if you use groundstation and the according maps.
As i was on holiday in Spain last summer i went to a provider for a subscription and wanted to pay. They wanted a traveling visa to prove my identity. That we don't have here and the thing we have ( identity card ) wasn't sufficient. But i had a solution for it.
Some vendors of fast food stuff have free wifi, especially the one that has a circus figure as a mascot works superb.
You don't have to be inside, just near enough to have a connection and you can get the cards needed for free.
So i ended up cheaper then all the hassle with them providers.

I'm confused, you need actual wifi to fly the drone? I thought that's what the wifi antenna on the controller was for? I turn that on, connect with my phone to the phantom's generated wifi and I'm good.. Am I wrong when you go overseas?

surfer808 said:
RedRyderMedia said:
Mori55 said:
+1

Oh cool, any tips while flying there? Did you have any issues with the authorities or locals? Did you get some good shots/videos? Would love to see them.

I'll be in the following places:
Rome
Florence
Amalfi Coast
Capri
Sardinia

I never got as far south as Florence. No problems with anyone, but I kept things pretty basic because I went from Italy to France and then to Germany. I didn't want to risk having my P2V+ confiscated in Italy and miss the last two thirds of my vacation. Everyone seemed cool with me flying everywhere I went. Lots of questions from everyone.....probably sold 6 or more Phantoms for DJI!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl