Traveling to Asia

Reaction score
Hi. Has anyone taken their drone to Cambodia , Vietnam, and Laos. Are their any issues I should know about. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I travelled with Vietnam Airlines from Sydney to Vietnam and back.
Did Domestic from Saigon to Rach Gia - Rach Gia to Saigon - Saigon to Da Nang. I was only asked once, and I said it was a toy.
Carried on with 4 batts on all flights.
I used a KingKong 40 Backpack which fits in the overhead.

Hi. Has anyone taken their drone to Cambodia , Vietnam, and Laos. Are their any issues I should know about. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue ... I will be there for 4 months in early 2016, but I will need to check my Phantom in its case along with my regular suitcase ... my carry on is a backpack full of camera gear. Needless to say, I am a bit nervous about it even this far in advance. When is your trip? Post some vids/photos if you can. At least one of us will be interested!! :)

I'm going then too. Will post if/when I can. Using a back pack too. Trying to get info about flying in China, Cambodia , Vietnam , Laos and Myanmar.

I already have a backpack filled with camera gear as my carry-on. I will have to check my drone case along with my clothing bag.

Domestic flights are pretty cheap once you get there. My goal is to fly over Bagan temples. I'd be careful at Angkor wat. Security can be aggressive and you'll have no recourse if they want to take your drone.

I just would like better over all performance. I guess I don't under stand the difference between the stock Phantom controller and the Naza lite and Naza mV2 controllers. I know that the lite can be hacked into a m v2. But where is the stock controller in this mix

I just would like better over all performance. I guess I don't under stand the difference between the stock Phantom controller and the Naza lite and Naza mV2 controllers. I know that the lite can be hacked into a m v2. But where is the stock controller in this mix

You should track posts by "Clipper707" for information on travel to the region. He's in Myanmar at the moment, I believe.

As far as performance and controller issues, xboy, I think you should start a tread on what you hope to accomplish and please include any and all and even more pertinent info below a good descriptive title. Trust me, it works.

Great search link in my signature, along with some other stuff.

Life is good, live it... share it too. :D

Thanks, IflyinWY. I would totally have missed this thread because it's in the P1 section.

Myanmar - Here's a quick field report on Myanmar. Every bag is x-rayed upon arrival and drones are confiscated. I've seen at least 4 confiscated drones in the Yangon International Airport Customs office. There are more in warehouses near the airport. Your bags will be x-rayed again when you fly from Yangon and when you land at Nyaung U. Every flight you make within Myanmar, your bags will x-rayed on departure and arrival. If your drone is found, it will be confiscated. Think twice about the risk.

I entered the country with an invitation and official approval to bring my drone. Approvals came from the Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Information and the military Security Council. A paperwork deficiency resulted in it being held by the Customs Department for a 24+ hours while the ministries got their paperwork straightened out, totally skewing my scheduled guides, hired cars, hotel rooms, etc. The government assigned a guide to me. I was responsible for his expenses.

Another concern. You'll undoubtedly fly on ATR72s on internal flights. My backpack fits under the seat and definitely not in the tiny overhead. Anything larger would have to be checked-in.

Laos - Entry: no issues bringing the Phantom into Vientiane last year and Luang Prabang this year. Flying: Vientiane is very permissive but Luang Prabang is very paranoid. They're hyper-sensitive about LPB being a UNESCO World Heritage City and the Tourism Police may detain you like they did me. Be careful where you fly, especially at temples.
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...-my-passport-to-the-lao-tourism-police.45254/

Airlines servicing Laos use either A320s or ATR72s. In the jet, you're fine. In the turbo-prop ATR72, your drone will not fit in the overhead. It might fit under the seat.

Vietnam
- very permissive. I think I could bring a flying chainsaw and they'd be ok with it.

----------
No experience with Cambodia or China. I've read Cambodia has banned drones over Phnom Penh and permission is required over the Angkor Wat Archaeological Zone.
----------

Read this thread through to the end or search for your country within. It has not been maintained but you may find relevant info.
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...-take-your-drone-with-you-even-tourist.23392/

Finally, a lecture: Please post in the correct category. The issues you're asking about are NOT Phantom 1 issues but General issues. Post your questions where they belong and you'll get better answers, as well as avoid duplication.

I genuinely hope this is helpful. Please feel free to PM me or ask questions here in this thread.

Mods, please move this thread to General Discussion.

Last edited:
Sorry posted the question about Naza incorrectly. Thanks for the heads up

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic