Traveling from US to UK and back with a P3

Reaction score
Hi All

I am very new to owning and flying a P3 in fact its not even arrived yet (Wednesday) but wonder if I could ask some advice, I live in Florida but traveling back to the UK for a few weeks to visit family and I would love to take my new P3 with me and wondered if anyone here has done it? I have google searched it but can't find the answer I need apart from making sure the battery is with me in my hand luggage. I am flying out of Orlando MCO to London Gatwick direct and back again three weeks later. I plan on visiting the Isle of Wight and thought it might make for some great shots. Anyone made a Atlantic flight without any issues?

Thank you

Stuart

I can not comment on the traveling on a plane but we do have a good many members that do I'm sure someone will comment . One thing you should do is see what the UK rules and laws are in the area you are going so you don't lose your new bird . We do have a lot of UK members too maybe they will post :)
If it all works out post your vids GL!

Thanks for the reply, yes I would very interested if anyone has had any issues with there drones in the UK travelling in or out please. Thanks again.

I don't know about travelling in and out, but the 500mx400' cylinder basically is the law, althought the actual wording is to do with keeping within line of sight, those distances are the accepted maximums. You also cannot fly with goggles - unless you have a spotter who adheres to a list of crieria. You cannot fly within 150m of or over congested areas, and you cannot fly within 50m of any structure/vehicle, person, vessel. Obviously flying for commercial gain is outside the law too, unless you are properly registered.

Last edited:
Hi , for the first time I am traveling with Norwegian Air from Orlando to London Gatwick direct, ordered a P3 Goprofessional case for it too, hope it will go as hand luggage as I am not putting it in the hold to get damaged or worse!

You can't fly with your p3 is it is not allowed to go higher than 500m. It may develop issues, switch on and try to return home ;)

Sorry could not help myself

Hey Stuart,

I just flew into Gatwick last month from LAX. No issues whatsoever. Had a Phantom 2 with zenmuse Go Pro and 4 batteries in carry on case.

Flying in the UK is fine so long as you respect the laws which Hughie outlined above. There are few issues and people seem welcoming and curious about them. The best time to fly castles and ruins is after 6 pm when they are closed and no one is around. It's light out until 10pm so you have lots of chances.

I don't fly over populated areas, but I have flown over some of the beautiful steam trains which regularly travel the countryside, possibly pushing the 50m limit by a bit. Almost everywhere in the UK are public access trails through open fields. There are lots of chances to test your skills there in relative safety.

The wind blows all the time in the UK and rain and wind are your enemies. That's the only downside. Hopefully you'll get some good flight time and training.

It's not windy all the time lol often..yes but its not as bad as people think. It also doesn't rain as much as people think, especially inland. The legal height limit is 122 meters (400ft).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers