Travel with Phantom 4

Reaction score
I just wanted to let everyone know of my experiences traveling to Montego Bay, Jamaica this last month. I had read horror stories but I did what I thought was common sense things to prepare for the big bad American Airlines and International Travel. I carried everything in a Manfrotto backpack as my carry on luggage. I put tape over the battery, I put them (3) in zip lock bag and then placed in Lipo bag after discharging to 30 percent. I had my controller, Drone and powered antenna in the bag with the Ipad Air 2 and the drone. I took the drone to the conveyor belt and laid it down at the Dallas Ft Worth Airport. They ran the bag through the scanner and didn't even look up. It was as if it were a bag full of laundry. They did not seam to care anything about it. I put my shoes back on and my belt and off I went. This was the exact same throughout my entire trip. I put it in the upper bin on the aircraft and had no problem what so ever for my whole trip. I was two miles from the International Airport and had no problem flying there at all as I followed all common sense protocols and everyone was great every time that I flew. Same thing coming back home it was great.

I had read horror stories
I put tape over the battery, I put them (3) in zip lock bag and then placed in Lipo bag after discharging to 30 percent.
.... They ran the bag through the scanner and didn't even look up. It was as if it were a bag full of laundry. They did not seem to care anything about it.
That sounds like every report I've read. I haven't heard any horror stories.
ANd the lipo bags, discharging etc were unnecessary - no airline asks you do do that and no airport security people know anything about any of that.

For me they usually flag my bag (a phantom backpack) and pull me over to the side. All they do is swab it then send me on my way. I've never had any problems with my batteries or remote control. It's always terrifying while flying with it though, in case they make you check it under the airplane then it has a possibility of being damaged.

I've not had any major problems flying into Mexico. What seems to perk up their ears are chargers and wires. Once they take a real look, I'm on my way. I also keep batteries in a LIPO bag and run them separately in their own bin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20