Travel help please

Reaction score
Australia, New South Wales, Central Coast
Hello & best regards to all...

Hoping that someone might be able to offer suggestions please?

I have searched the forums, but, can't really find my answer (apart from learning that Emirates no longer allow drones as carry on). Last post I found was from Jan 2018 and maybe other model bags around since then?

I am looking for a backpack (or something on wheels...I've numerous spinal surgeries) that can handle my P4P+, 3 x batteries, the charging accessories etc) and a Nikon D300S (an oldie that I bought years ago & rarely used). I'll only look to take a 24-70, 2 x spare batteries and lens filters. I'm tempted to upgrade the Nikon, but, not yet. Still works great.

I would prefer this to be a "carry on" as I've read too many horror stories with drones going as checked baggage. I'm only looking at flying within Australia.

Thanks for reading!

Robert: Please re-think your idea of using something on wheels - unless your spinal surgeries have caused you no other option. There are two major “killers” of professional camera equipment: sand/dust and vibration. The latter is highly likely if you have a pull-baggage on wheels.

The D300s is still a great camera body, so (again) think twice about replacing it.

For my professional camera equipment, we use a Lowepro backpack. It’s great and could be easily reconfigured to accommodate everything you listed. (Disclaimer: Lowepro kindly sponsored me. But if they didn’t, their bags are still the best you can get.)

The Lowepro backpacks are also very comfortable with all kinds of straps to distribute the weight. They’re not cheap, but the money is well spent because of the protection and comfort.

Lastly, we always travel with the P4P+ in main baggage. We have a (non-Lowepro) drone backpack and this goes inside the a large hard suitcase. We’ve never had a problem, as it’s got double protection. The pro camera gear does go hand luggage.

All the best.

Reactions: RobertJ
There are a bunch of backpack options out there that could work for you. It seems to me that all of the "wheeled" options are significantly heavier and so might cause more issues than they solve. Here is a Lowepro option that has moveable dividers. I bet you could fit all your gear in it. LoweproDroneGuard BP 400 Backpack for DJI Phantom-Series Quadcopter

Many thanks for your message. I've spent a few days looking on line. I'll probably go with a LowePro bag. Thanks again!

I experienced the same problem a couple of weeks ago on a flight to Chile, Easter Island, back to Chile, and back to the U.S. on Latam airlines with the P4P, while my in law experienced no issues with the Mavic 2 Pro. I was asked to open the case on all flights prior to it being allowed into the baggage compartment in the belly of the plane! Needless to say, a Mavic Pro 2 was purchased on the very same day of my return. I had never before had issues with my P4P being brought on as carry on luggage, and now, my case is so much smaller, that I don’t even get a second look.

Robert: Please re-think your idea of using something on wheels - unless your spinal surgeries have caused you no other option. There are two major “killers” of professional camera equipment: sand/dust and vibration. The latter is highly likely if you have a pull-baggage on wheels.

The D300s is still a great camera body, so (again) think twice about replacing it.

For my professional camera equipment, we use a Lowepro backpack. It’s great and could be easily reconfigured to accommodate everything you listed. (Disclaimer: Lowepro kindly sponsored me. But if they didn’t, their bags are still the best you can get.)

The Lowepro backpacks are also very comfortable with all kinds of straps to distribute the weight. They’re not cheap, but the money is well spent because of the protection and comfort.

Lastly, we always travel with the P4P+ in main baggage. We have a (non-Lowepro) drone backpack and this goes inside the a large hard suitcase. We’ve never had a problem, as it’s got double protection. The pro camera gear does go hand luggage.

All the best.
Thank you for your detailed message.

I've spent last few weeks looking at bags online. I'll venture out soon and have a physical look.

My current LowePro bag doesn't have the capacity for the P4P+ with a DSLR and being "trip of a lifetime" I don't want to stuff up getting quality memories. I agreed to go in a moment of madness...

Yep, familiar with the vibration issue. Being the 21st century, I thought that maybe someone had come up with an invention of sorts...the ULTIMATE travel case that doesn't require a crew to pack or carry. I haven't really kept up with the "camera universe" for quite a few years.

I haven't done any land based photography since 2007. Bought the D300S in 2010 with a view to do ALOT more, but, being held together by titanium isn't fun, nor easy to get out as much as I'd like to.

Bought the drone in Jan 2018 and have used it twice. I was thinking about the D850 for the full frame feature.

Many thanks guys for taking the time to read & respond. I shall go LowePro shopping.

Best regards

Rob

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic