Toy drones

Reaction score
What are the rest of you flying for toy drones? Do you have a little toy that you like to fly inside when it's too nasty to fly outside? I'm looking for a cheap $50 or less to play around with. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have a list of some small quadcopters that might be a good option for you here.

I bought a Syma X5sc-1 and I consider it too big to fly in my house. Would be perfect for inside a shop, gymnasium, etc, but not for my 3 bedroom suburban cookie cutter house.

P3A with Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Reactions: Erised
I also have a X5 and agree with nssdrone that it's too big for the house but it's a nice outdoors toy. What I can recommend is that the quad you chose has batteries you replace with fully charged ones because they do not stay up very long, about 5 minutes. Get extra batteries and a multi charger and you will get the most fun from your toy.

Hubsan X4 H107l with a prop guard & few spare battery's does it for me. Perfect for indoors & out when low wind

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I bought the RealFlight Drone Simulator to fly indoors. Has lots of challenges and different drones to fly in different airfields as well as night flight. Some drones are ATTI mode on steroids. Can't bust up the walls, curtains, or furniture either.

I have a $35 spydex. It is durable and easy to fly. Can do flips. Has course lock. Control sensitivity can be set from normal to fast and battery lasts about 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

First drone was a P4 this Christmas.

Two months later I have the P4, a Parrot Mambo, Eachine H10WD, Hubsan H107D+, and a Hubsan 502S. Yeah, I went a bit crazy :D

Hands-down my favorite indoor drone is the Mambo ($100), and it's not even close. It flies just like the P4, as it has visual positioning, ultrasonic ranging for AGL hovering, and a barometer for altitude hold above the ultrasonic range.

Hovers ROCK SOLID in place indoors, holds altitude perfectly. The controls operate the same as the P4, (that is, centering the sticks causes the AC to brake and stop in place).

The VPS is just a single, cheap fixed-focus camera pointing downward, and this is not a $1000 machine, so you CAN fool the VPS (move your hand under it), and pattern-less surfaces have position hold issues. This is no different than the P4, however.

The stability and positioning accuracy if this drone is so good that I have absolutely no issue at all maneuvering it over within inches of my head/face, then just let it hover there. No control input.

Flying the Mambo indoors will hone your LOS flying skills with your P4. You will have to spend another $30 and buy the "Flypad" -- traditional 2-stick controller. Out of the box you fly it with a smartphone app, which totally sucks.

Now, all that said. my second favorite indoor drone is the Eachine H10WD. This is a nano, about 2" across arm to arm. It has a barometer for altitude hold, and a 0.3MP camera for FPV flight! It is a blast to fly around the house, but without any positioning, you will further develop skills keeping it in place. It is very much like flying the P4 in ATTI mode. 10WD is about $45, comes with controller.

Outdoors the toy is the Hubsan 502S. GPS, compass, barometer, 720P camera that records to an on-board SD card, with 480p video back to the transmitter for FPV flight. Has RTH features. Absolute blast to zoom around outside FPV with this little guy. $149 direct from Hubsan right now, complete.

Last edited:
Air Hogs Millenium Falcon. It's soft and looks amazing in flight. Plus, it brings me right back to my childhood. (ok... I never really left it, I just got bigger.)

Air Hogs Millenium Falcon. It's soft and looks amazing in flight. Plus, it brings me right back to my childhood. (ok... I never really left it, I just got bigger.)

I have the falcon XL one, by far the WORST drone ever made. It doesn't hover, it's under powered, it literally ascends and descends in it's own, the remote control delay is in seconds sometimes. It seems to only have some resemblance of control when it's pointed towards a wall and accelerates to full speed. I cannot tell you enoug how much I hate the thing. I flew it once, and now it sits on the shelf.

I have the falcon XL one, by far the WORST drone ever made. It doesn't hover, it's under powered, it literally ascends and descends in it's own, the remote control delay is in seconds sometimes. It seems to only have some resemblance of control when it's pointed towards a wall and accelerates to full speed. I cannot tell you enoug how much I hate the thing. I flew it once, and now it sits on the shelf.

I've seen it at a few of the specialty shops and thought it'd be fun to own. I just don't have a shelf that big! That thing is huge!

I have an Armattan CF355 frame with a Naze32 that I use for casual FPV racing/sport flying. If you enjoy flying for the sake of flying, building your own quad is the way to go.

I have a Syma X5SW. My wife got it for me for Christmas. It was my entry into the drone world. It didn't take long before I was ready for my Phantom. The Syma is still fun to fly indoors and do flips with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez