Today you have to be registered in UK to fly

Do you have to register to own a drone? Or just to fly one? I've read conflicting stuff. Interesting that the CAA has put a positive spin on this as a 'lost drone' service.

Answer my own question - direct from the CAA website:

You must have two registrations in place before you fly a drone or model aircraft that’s 250g to 20kg:

• anyone who will fly must pass a theory test to get a flyer ID
  • the person that’s responsible for the drone or model aircraft must register to get an operator ID
It is against the law to fly without passing the test or registering.

With the Mavic Mini entering the market I can see them dropping that lower weight limit pretty soon?

Do you have to register to own a drone? Or just to fly one? I've read conflicting stuff. Interesting that the CAA has put a positive spin on this as a 'lost drone' service.

Its worth checking out the whole story ... I have mentioned before that National Associations have an input and are worth being a member of.

For example - if you join one of the 5 Registered Organisations :

"
Not all owners must register by 30 November. Exemptions have been granted for members of several associations involved with flying model aircraft or other small, remotely controlled craft such as drones.

The five associations are

• The UK Drone Association (Arpas UK)
  • British Model Flying Association
  • Scottish Aeromodellers' Association
  • Large Model Association
  • FPV UK
Simon, Dale, chief executive of FPV UK, said it had opposed registration since it was announced. About 4,000 members of FPV UK are regular drone flyers.

"Registration will do nothing to improve safety or security because bad actors will not register their drones," he said.

Instead, he said, the regulations would put people off model and drone flying.

Mr Dale said FPV UK would continue to actively oppose registration.

He added: "Hopefully it will be scrapped before long, just like the dog licence."

In joining for example BMFA - that immediately provides Insurance and access to many other events and activities they run throughout the year. It also increases membership numbers giving greater voice to action against draconian rules.

With regard to general registration - as it covers ALL flying models over 250gr :

is in line with EU proposals with the provision of membership of a recognised club / organisation with Safety and General Practice Guidelines - which then exempts member from Individual Aviation Examinations.

Like most things - its needed to be read in entirety and carefully interpreted. Its not just 'Drone Owners' who are being targeted.
Responsible owners are being inconvenienced by the acts of fools, which sadly is a basic fact of life in most things.

Reactions: OOO
Answer my own question - direct from the CAA website:

You must have two registrations in place before you fly a drone or model aircraft that’s 250g to 20kg:

• anyone who will fly must pass a theory test to get a flyer ID
  • the person that’s responsible for the drone or model aircraft must register to get an operator ID
It is against the law to fly without passing the test or registering.

With the Mavic Mini entering the market I can see them dropping that lower weight limit pretty soon?

UNLESS you are a member of one or more of the 5 authorised Model Flying Organisations.

• The UK Drone Association (Arpas UK)
  • British Model Flying Association
  • Scottish Aeromodellers' Association
  • Large Model Association
  • FPV UK
Honestly if more people would join and support one of these - then maybe more could be done to avoid rules and regs. Don't forget that BMFA is part of SMAE - the oldest Model Aeronautical body in the world that has been advising and participating in all aspects of Model Flying with Authorities since its very start at beginning of 1900's

Please do not misunderstand me - I am not in favour of Registration as the real idiots will ignore it and carry on regardless .. most Police / Authority figures will likely regard it as too much hassle to enforce and just warn off the offender ...
Like FPV guy says - probably go same way as Dog Licence ... Govt lost more money providing the licence paper than collected in fees !

Pretty straightforward, just answer 20 questions (I got one about flying in snow wrong), put in your name and address several times and pay your £9.(way less than joining an association)

You get an operator registration and flier registration. You don't get any stickers with the numbers on to stick on your drone though.

Pretty straightforward, just answer 20 questions (I got one about flying in snow wrong), put in your name and address several times and pay your £9.(way less than joining an association)

You get an operator registration and flier registration. You don't get any stickers with the numbers on to stick on your drone though.
The whole process took me thirty minutes. Not worth the trouble that might arise from non-compliance. And as experienced pilots we should be encouraging - by our example - those who are just getting started.

Not going to bother. Only a few honest people will.
As said above, the clowns etc won’t. And who is going to police it?
In my mind, the only people who "won't bother" are those who don't bother to abide by the rules already, the idiots who fly near airports and the like, and it's because of these people that this has come about!

Reactions: DHAirbus and Oso
In my mind, the only people who "won't bother" are those who don't bother to abide by the rules already, the idiots who fly near airports and the like, and it's because of these people that this has come about!
Sad but true. Most of the time any new regulations (and of course their fees) only impact the people who would have already followed guidelines. The people who don’t follow guidelines usually are the ones forcing new regulations which they still won’t follow. At least in this case there is a clearly defined penalty for when they get caught, but the majority of people who now have to pay would not have caused any trouble at all. Now they still wont cause trouble, but have to pay to not do so. ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and DHAirbus
You’re entitled to your opinion, but are way off the mark in this case. Think before calling people idiots. You don’t have a clue!

You’re entitled to your opinion, but are way off the mark in this case. Think before calling people idiots. You don’t have a clue!

I think you'll find that many people will agree with Cheddarman ... for simple reason that usually rules are created due to the stupidity or ignorance of offenders.
Instead of people using the brain cells they are born with - they think they can just act as they want. Whether it be speeding on the roads, pulling the Emergency Chain on trains, letting dogs crap in the park .... the list goes on.

For many years we have been able to fly models - without need for such limits and rules as now. Why did it change ?

For those as yourself who say - they will not register - IMHO - that is something we can well do without. I appreciate you have your reasons for such decision, but it does not change the fact you are 'bucking the system'. For the sake of a measly 9 quid .. is it really necessary to have to look over your shoulder wondering if anyones going to ask for that ID ?

Reactions: DHAirbus
I think you'll find that many people will agree with Cheddarman ... for simple reason that usually rules are created due to the stupidity or ignorance of offenders.
Instead of people using the brain cells they are born with - they think they can just act as they want. Whether it be speeding on the roads, pulling the Emergency Chain on trains, letting dogs crap in the park .... the list goes on.

For many years we have been able to fly models - without need for such limits and rules as now. Why did it change ?

For those as yourself who say - they will not register - IMHO - that is something we can well do without. I appreciate you have your reasons for such decision, but it does not change the fact you are 'bucking the system'. For the sake of a measly 9 quid .. is it really necessary to have to look over your shoulder wondering if anyones going to ask for that ID ?
You do not know me or my circumstances. Have no idea what I am going through at this time, yet have decided to be very judgemental and critical with your views. If you did, you and chedderman may not have been so quick to voice your options here. Many people may agree, but are respectful enough to keep their views and opinions to themselves.
They use the brain cells they have in making their decisions. I suggest you do the same before hitting your keyboard again.
The sad thing is, I may not be able to fly my drone any more.

You do not know me or my circumstances. Have no idea what I am going through at this time, yet have decided to be very judgemental and critical with your views. If you did, you and chedderman may not have been so quick to voice your options here. Many people may agree, but are respectful enough to keep their views and opinions to themselves.
They use the brain cells they have in making their decisions. I suggest you do the same before hitting your keyboard again.
The sad thing is, I may not be able to fly my drone any more.

You also do not know mine ... QED

Yeah, l think it is a simple & affordable process which means l can show anyone who questions my drone activities over the sea front here in Herne Bay or along the coast to Margate that l am an accomplished & officially licensed drone operator & pilot. Well done CAA UK for providing such a simple process to show grokles or other uninformed spectators that recreational drone flying is no threat to anyone. It is perfectly true that someone, usually stupid, will still go out there & offend people. Look at Jet skiers for example, what l see them doing in Margate Harbour is absolutely insane, but we are still not allowed to kill them. (here's hoping readers know about dark humour). Car manufacturers do their best to make sure their vehicles are safe but in the end the nut that holds the steering wheel is completely beyond anybody's control. I wish all who visit P P.com a wonderful winter season with lots of cheer, beer & great flying weather for the New Year.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31