To Phantom 4P or not to Phantom 4P ...

Reaction score
... that is the question...

Sent my Mavic Pro to Carson yesterday. From what I've read I can expect to be drone free for about 4 - 5 weeks. (Camera focus is soft on left 1/3 or so). What sucks is a friend just received his on my recommendation!

So, as I've been learning to fly the Mavic with the possibility of starting a small business (inspections, real estate, perhaps events and stock aerial footage) bubbling gently away, I've been pondering a P4P. The Mavic is incredibly easy to fly (I used to fly airplanes, commercial, CFI... once upon a time and some RC as a kid with my father...). The P4P is perhaps a little harder to fly? Maybe not.

It definitely has a better camera. Yes, I've seen all the comparisons (well, a lot of them) and I think where the MP shows its best is because the conditions were in the sweet spot of that camera. It's just clear to me that the sweet spot of the P4P's camera is much larger. The sensor is larger and that is less noise right there.

And yes, I know the old saying about the camera that I have with me is better than the one I don't...

The Mavic Pro is a fantastic drone. There is little that can be said negative about it other than its ambitious camera. That is it's weakest point. It's only weak point. Everything else is very good.

I've spec'd out my P4P kit to include the control with the high visibility display, 2 extra batteries, more props, the HDMI adapter, charging hub, ND 8 and Care Refresh. That comes to US$2500 all decked out. (I don't like to think of how much that is in Canuckistan dollars ....).

Should I wait for my Mavic to come home with its camera repaired or replaced?
Should I wait for the Mavic Pro 2?
Should I wait for the Phantom 5?
Should I wait for the DJI Excelsior? [[ attention: rumor control....!!!]]

Should I take up with a mistress? Cheaper? Less complex? And, hey, my wife would probably approve of that more than another drone!

Guidance, oh wise and gentle Phantom pilots please.

If your thinking about a business, you might want to add an Inspire 2 to your list. Between the Mavic and the P4P, I'd go with the P4P. I think they're about the same flight wise (though I've heard the Mavic is a bit more sensitive to wind).

If business is in mind, then the output that will be delivered to your clients is top priority. Put it this way, in a wedding photo, would a super portable point and shoot suffice versus a pro camera that is cumbersome to transport? Unless you are running the type of business where you value clients as "first and last", then I believe you would choose the pro camera.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
If business is in mind, then the output that will be delivered to your clients is top priority. Put it this way, in a wedding photo, would a super portable point and shoot suffice versus a pro camera that is cumbersome to transport? Unless you are running the type of business where you value clients as "first and last", then I believe you would choose the pro camera.

That's the core of my thinking. Thanks.

If your thinking about a business, you might want to add an Inspire 2 to your list. Between the Mavic and the P4P, I'd go with the P4P. I think they're about the same flight wise (though I've heard the Mavic is a bit more sensitive to wind).

Baby steps! While I certainly can't find fault in the Inspire 2 it's a more significant investment even with the basic camera. Also far less portable. I'd love it, but I have to keep cash for other things (marketing most of all).

I can get the P4P with extra batts and so on for US$2000 and a bit.

The Inspire with the same sensor camera runs US$4000 and I haven't even hit extra batteries ...

Admittedly more professional and assume capable, plus room for growth, but stretching beyond IOC and locking up cash.

If I wreck the P4P I can have another one here within a few days and cash won't be that much of an issue. Wreck the Inspire 2 and it's another ball game.

I think the Mavic does fine in wind - to a limit of course. I suspect it's the wind warnings that are a bit sensitive.

Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl