tips for flying backwards

Reaction score
Sorry for newb question - I don't have a lot of time in flying my new P4
I will be using the active tracking feature for an indy film
I will have to follow someone as they they walk along a road.
I want to be able to capture them from their back - no problem - as I will be flying forwards
but for a frontal shot and having to fly the copter backwards I was wondering if there are any tips you can suggest? I might have a blind spot in my thinking - but just concerned of flying backwards and not being able to use the obstacle avoidance feature - but just having less control then going forwards.
the road is in the country - no buildings - no people - no cars - just some phone wires and poles on side of the road.
thanks for any suggestions.

During active track you still have control. You can make all the adjustments you need while it is tracking the target. If it's a walk you won't have any problems. You should be able to foresee any issues and have plenty of time to react. If you're really concerned you can practice in an open area first.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Practice backwards flight beforehand and never develop a reliance on obstacle avoidance. That is the pilot's responsibility.

Reactions: Meta4
I was wondering if there are any tips you can suggest?

I don't have a P4 - and not that familiar with "active tracking" (other than what the intention for it is).

So I am not sure if this will work while flying with "active track" activated - is it not possible to use "home lock" while flying in "active track" mode?

Home lock allows for the right hand stick on the RC to work as if you were flying in a straight line forward or backwards - meaning regardless of where your Phantom is from the home point (you) you pull back on the stick and have it come home. Doesn't matter how far away, what direction you are flying (north, south, east or west) the right RC stick pulled back still brings you home or forward moves you away!

Sorry for newb question - I don't have a lot of time in flying my new P4
I will be using the active tracking feature for an indy film
I will have to follow someone as they they walk along a road.
I want to be able to capture them from their back - no problem - as I will be flying forwards
but for a frontal shot and having to fly the copter backwards I was wondering if there are any tips you can suggest? I might have a blind spot in my thinking - but just concerned of flying backwards and not being able to use the obstacle avoidance feature - but just having less control then going forwards.
the road is in the country - no buildings - no people - no cars - just some phone wires and poles on side of the road.
thanks for any suggestions.
Here is a post that talks about how to fly backwarsds with Activetrack. You have to change a setting.
My first video testing Active Track

Reactions: eaglegoaltender

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic