Tip for Newbies about Avoiding Crashes

Are there any pilots who have flown nose-in and had a crash or near collision because of an incorrect left or right pitch?

Other than being able to say "I fly nose-in without incidents," why not fly nose- out, or even sideways, if that suits you? I cannot see any real benefit to a particular flying style other than nose-out for those who want to fly but don't have time to perfect nose-in, or are not seasoned pros and never will be. Thanks to technological advances, novices can fly and do so safely.

I know some say that you should not fly if you don't master this or that by practice so that it becomes a reflexive action. Again I point to technological advances which allows the weekend pilot to enjoy a good hobby without incidents. Good for those who want a reflexive response to everything. A neat feature of a DJI Phantom is to just let go of the sticks and your bird will eagerly wait in place for your next command. If I were wanting to go beyond the hobby stage, then I agree that you should practice, practice, practice and gain those reflex actions otherwise what's the point?

I agree with flying nose-out and leaving the YAW control untouched if you want to fly with minimum experience. You can fly to a place (let's say to frame a photo), do whatever YAW is required for the photo, and then put the nose out before returning. This is a safe, conservative approach for less experienced pilots.

Newbe to drones but not to aviation, ...
I modified my front prop guards with neon green and orange 1/2" duct tape to correspond to the starboard (green) and port (red) anti-collision lights on an aircraft. This helped me maintain orientation and situational awareness. Mode 2 left stick deflection to the right or green always means a right hand turn regardless of the direction the RC is facing, ...
Also honing skills flying and maneuvering under a vacant park picnic shelter is a good slalom course to avoid poles. Forward, backwards then sideways, ...
Very slowly for now really helps you really get to know your gear.

I have managed to operate my new drone ( I now have almost FOUR weeks of experience operating drones....!) without crashing it.

I attribute my good luck to several things. My incredible SKILL & expertise.....AND.. ( this may have something to do with it.....) .my realization that trees, telephone poles....the side of my house... the earth's surface..........ARE NOT MADE OUT OF FOAM RUBBER !
Another cause of crashes is over confidence and an accident can happen to anybody

Newbe to drones but not to aviation, ...
I modified my front prop guards with neon green and orange 1/2" duct tape to correspond to the starboard (green) and port (red) anti-collision lights on an aircraft.

And for those of us who have thick skulls - an easy way to remember which side of the aircraft the green light is on and which side the red light is on:

"Green" is a bigger word than "red"
"Right" is a bigger word than "left".
Big words go together,
And what is left is "left".

I know - it sounds corny! But it works!

So far, in my short tenure as a P3 Pro pilot, seagulls probably scare me the most. They do not seem interested in the drone, but.......
Anyone have issues with birds?
Yes, I have experienced seagulls going after my P3S each time I've flown at the ocean while most other birds including redt-ailed hawks have been indifferent to it..perhaps due to the similar white coloring and the seagulls sense of territoriality?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor