Tip for Keeping your batteries warm for cold-weather flying

Reaction score
I found a neat way to keep my batteries warm while I was flying today. Seeing I was only a short distance from my pick up truck, I mounted a spare battery into my iPhone holder that connects to my vent. I put the heat on warm and had it coming out of the vent. It kept the battery nice and warm in till I needed to switch it out. It fit perfectly into the iPhone holder and it allows you to adjust the heat to the perfect temperature.
0d81ec624382ed67c78cb46eb6e4c00a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Erised
That's a good idea.

I had cold batteries on a recent flight. My vehicle was parked with the engine off because I was going to be flying for awhile.

My solution is to use a rechargeable electric hand warmer, which I place in a small soft-sided lunch cooler with the batteries. Plus, the hand warmer can be used to charge the controller or my phone if need be!

Here is my question.... on a newer vehicle (last 10 years even), heat can be set to come out of the upper vents? I have automatic but with some manual buttons. Still, I don't know that there is a button for this. Auto heats comes out near the floor only. There is a defrost button but this turns heat to windshield only.

Last year I did have an issue with batteries under 15C. I ended up putting them on the dash. This would not work well while driving so I can see your solution as being a good idea.

I have a 2016 F-150 and I can select the heat to come out of the upper vents, so this does work perfectly for me. I was just surprised, and impressed, that the battery fit perfectly in the spring loaded clamp designed for an iPhone. Seeing I was filming right next to my truck on a 20F degree day, it allowed me to do a quick swap of batteries for the 15-20 minutes of additional filming and never got a cold battery warning.

Now if I could only find a good pair of gloves that keep my fingers warm and still allow me to delicately control the RC!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan