Three months

Reaction score
A quick summary after three months intensive flying/filming with the P4P+.

We’ve done almost 200 flights and taken just over 400 bits of video film during this period - flying mainly during the golden hour after sunrise, when the light is at its most beautiful and the winds are often at their lightest, plus sometimes during the golden hour before sunset.

The video quality and camera has been exactly as we had hoped for: excellent. We’ve used manual control and a ND/PL filter on every occasion. After each session, the data has been copied to three sources including two external hard drives.

The wide angle lens is a good choice, but ideally it would be better to have different options. My photographer’s eye, at least, usually “sees” a landscape from a 50mm lens perspective - so there is some mental adjusting required, and not every location delivers as hoped for. But there’s always a learning curve.

The integrated screen of the P4P+ has worked well under bright summer sunlight here in South Africa. It’s quick to set up and fly, useful if a wildlife situation is unfolding and speed is essential. Yes, it could be a bigger size for finding animals on screen in the far distance, but everything is a practical compromise and it’s fine once you’re nearer to your target. Only once did the app crash during a flight and we nevertheless flew safely and landed without incident.

We occasionally flew out of sight, even with a spotter with binoculars - not a problem on your own very big nature reserve in terms of safety. Once, this morning, we totally lost transmission because of a hill being between us and the drone. It wasn’t long before the drone was on its way back to us and we regained control.

Although we have preferred to fly in light winds, the drone has dealt with winds of 20mph or more, plus stronger gusts, very well. But it tests the nerves. We have spectacular mountainsides and kloofs on part of the reserve, with associated winds that can be disruptive/challenging, but again the drone has easily handled everything we have attempted to do.

There is no sign of any wear and tear on the drone that we can see. It looks as new.

Two batteries have been sufficient. We plan ahead, although also respond to spontaneous opportunities.

Filming from the air has been challenging. I’ve occasionally worked from light aircraft and helicopters over the years, but no more than half a dozen times, so aerial cinematography is far from normal for me. I’ve often commented during the past three months “Give me a tripod on terra firma any day!” But we’ve managed and adjusted.

Has flying been fun? No. It’s often been stressful (mainly in a good way). My palms have frequently been sweating and my hands shaking. But it’s also been exhilarating at times - especially when it all comes together and you get the results. For us, it’s work. But work can be deep and meaningful, so therefore fulfilling. After this early morning’s final flight, my wife and I did a “That’s a wrap!” high five. Tomorrow, we’ll be up in the air ourselves with Emirates.

DJI have delivered a great tool. We would give it 10/10 without hesitation. We’ve patiently waited many years for the technology to get this good, especially the camera output. It’s been worth the wait because the image quality is now good.

We want to see output of this three months :). I also have P4P+ and overall it is a very reliable drone. I like to land and relaunch my drone remotely thus a better ground clearance would be nice to have. Thank you for this detailed review.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
Thanks for the great review. Even though I have an Inspire 2 on my wish list, I still don’t think you can beat the P4P for features for dollars spent.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31