Thnking about buying a new P3S shell.

Reaction score
Long story short, I bought a used P3S a month or two ago, and fell in love with flying. So after logging I'd say around 50 Flights. I've been searching and reading about stress cracks and seeing my bird have some. And one of my motors seems loose compared to the other 3. It still flew alright with the loose motor but it just seemed like it didn't stay in place hovering that well. I did check the screws for the motor, and nothing was loose. I'm thinking a new P3S shell and some StrongArm plates(just for a piece of mind).

So a few questions...

Swapping shells, how difficult?

Do you think the new shell will fix the loose motor? Or should I just buy new motors to be sure?

Sorry for the questions, still pretty new!

I did it a few days ago. Took me 2:30 aprox. Also, buy reinforcement plates, because you will have the same problem again and again, if that part is not reinforced.
When you change the shell, look every part. Sometimes, the cracks are inside.

I did this recently also, went very smoothly...I'm pretty sure the newer shells have improved reinforcements around the motors, but the reinforcement plates can't hurt. Not sure if by loose motor you mean it actually isn't solid in the mount, or it spins more freely than the others

Hi, you may also want to set the braking setting back to 70, less stress I figure.

DO NOT keep flying if there are known cracks. Unsafe to do so.

I am in the process of rebuilding my P3S and realized one motor mount, where it landed on in the crash, has several cracks...just the one arm though. So I'll be putting my new board with motors and lights into a new shell with new antennas and new landing gear (to accommodate the new antennas) and new stickers. Essentially I have a brand new drone for pennies compared to buying new. Just under $200 total...Not too bad I think.

The real pain is separating the 2 shell halves. Once you do that, then the next obstacle is the running lights. Just use the tip of a soldering iron to melt the 2 tabs holding them in place.

Good luck! We like lots of pictures! ;)

Thanks guys! I will take a lot of pics once I get the New shell and reinforcement plates and start the install.

And I haven't flown since I found my cracks, kinda heartbreaking but I'd rather not do anymore damage than I already have.

Reactions: Squirrel!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues