This isn't normal, or is it?

Reaction score
So, just went through 6 weeks of ( Mod Removed ) with DJI Care service and DJI Customer Support (pretty long story but that's beside the point) and yesterday the replacement unit was finally delivered.. I was pretty happy that this ordeal ended. Unfortunately my jaw dropped when after all pre-flight procedures I powered it up for the the test flight..
Somebody please tell me that I haven't lost my mind and you see and hear it all the same as I do?
There's no wind what so ever. It's just hovering..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
More details under YouTube video...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gezz definitely contact them,that's terrible you think they test it,bad luck on that one.....you could try imu calibration but not think that would cure it but never know

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Somebody please tell me that I haven't lost my mind and you see and hear it all the same as I do?
There's no wind what so ever. It's just hovering..
It could be that the poor Phantom is just having a tough time trying to lock onto the grass below it.
Try turning the VPS off or fly up beyond VPS range (10 metres) and see if that makes a difference.
The VPS needs a surface with a clear pattern or texture to lock on to.
Grass, carpet, concrete etc gives it a hard time.

Reactions: LarBear360
Have the gain/expo settings been set to something aggressive?

My P4P is smooth as silk, even close to the ground so something is not right with yours.

Which firmware are you running?

It could be that the poor Phantom is just having a tough time trying to lock onto the grass below it.
Try turning the VPS off or fly up beyond VPS range (10 metres) and see if that makes a difference.
The VPS needs a surface with a clear pattern or texture to lock on to.
Grass, carpet, concrete etc gives it a hard time.
Unfortunately that's definitely not the case. It behaves the same, no matter at what altitude I'm hovering at. This time I kept it low so I could film this.
Also my Mavic Pro never behaved like this. Nor did the P4 that I sent to DJI for replacement

Have the gain/expo settings been set to something aggressive?
My P4P is smooth as silk, even close to the ground so something is not right with yours.
Well, my assumption is that of course it should be smooth and also without this horrible sound - which makes me fear for bearings.
Unfortunately you lost me with the gain/expo question... what have they got to do with the drone just hovering without any input from me? :)

That just doesn't sound right. One of the motors not spinning freely?
Besides jerky movement (as if it's fighting with a non-existent wind) and the metallic sound there's one more thing. After just 5 minutes of flight the two black motors (CW, front left, back right) are both pretty hot while the other CCW pair are barely lukewarm.
Now, if you watch this video carefully (especially on 4K full screen) then you can see it's doing this twitching along the same axis (ie back right or front left or both) suddenly change speed, causing the drone to suddenly do a tiny tilt after which it automatically compensates. That can be head even from the noize. And oh boy, this sound is almost as loud as the props themselves.
Well, I guess I got enough opinions to conclude that the drone DJI sent to me is dangerous to fly. Here we go again, DJI warranty this time...

To mod: Thank you for censoring me for using the word "hell" - I must have committed a heinous crime by summarising my DJI customer service experience with this word - there is no place for human emotions on the internet - even after you've been repeatedly lied to and jerked around by DJI - only to get a drone which is mostly suitable only for mocking their Care and Care Refresh plans and the given promises. I should've taken more time to compose myself before making this video 7AM this morning.

I didn't watch the video with sound on (sorry!) so I didn't hear the motors.

I can't recall the exact menu/name but there is a setting for the 'urgency' with which the phantom will react to 'no inputs'

At the lowest setting it will slowly come to a stop and then hover, at the other end of the spectrum it will aggressively brake & reverse thrust and then hover. I was told that if this setting is too far it may 'jitter'.

Well, my assumption is that of course it should be smooth and also without this horrible sound - which makes me fear for bearings.
Unfortunately you lost me with the gain/expo question... what have they got to do with the drone just hovering without any input from me? :)

I would have to simply say the model doesn't appear to operate like new, or as it should for that matter, although I've heard of instances where a slight whistling may occur from the motor, the sounds produced by your model appear much more prevalent for sure.
Might be best to contact DJI for further evaluation before any serious flying is considered.

Last edited:
Try it again in a wide open field where you can ensure good GPS signal and other navigational aides built into the aircraft. This video appears to have been shot in an area surrounded by trees, much like the ponderosa pine forest where I live and I often need to move to get the drone to find good GPS signals, which will at least affect any operation near ground level. If it works better in the open, that may help.

Does it only do this in GPS mode? Have you tried hovering in Atti?

As others have suggested try it again in a wide open field where there horizon is visible and not obstructed by trees, buildings etc ensuring you have at least 12 sats locked before taking off in GPS mode.

IMO it should fly like new out of the box. The drone in your video definitely does not meet the that criteria. I’d send it back. Accepting it only reinforces DJI’s loose service standards. More importantly, you want to be happy with your drone and not regret accepting a lower standard.

That noise grates my teeth. Any eejit can hear its not right and I would not fly it further just in case a motor seizes up and you crash.
Hot motors are not good either.
Good luck

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic