this FAA statement wrt Federal vs. Local changes nothing, right...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Press Release – FAA Statement–Federal vs. Local Drone Authority

and no new surprises, right?

OR -- does this mean that US National & state parks
DON'T control their airspace & if one takes off & lands
outside edge of parks one can fly INTO park airspace
& show FAA press release if challenged???

(in FL there's also wildlife preserve airspace issue &
can ranger claim drone is disrupting wildlife behavior???)

Last edited:
you could always take off and land outside a national park and fly into the park but just can't take off or land in the park

really???!! every national park ranger including a chief ranger
I've asked has stated no flying in their airspace...

also same stated over & over in this forum...
so far I've always drawn imaginary line in sky
& taken photos from outside edge at 45 degrees...

Both. Nothing has really changed. The NPS has never indicated at all that they controlled airspace. They have actually been right on mark the whole time. Most state parks will be on mark as well. Though you may find a few that words their rules against use in airspace.

Any/all agencies/parties can make a valid claim that you are harassing wildlife. Most would then need to refer the report to the correct agency for enforcement.

I kind of doubt this. Perhaps they were being brief or not worried about being too technical. There are not many National Parks were taking off outside the park and flying in would be that practical.

Reactions: Sagebrush
The only agency that regulates airspace is the FAA, which this statement re-affirms. I don't see anything more or or less in the statement.

also same stated over & over in this forum...
so far I've always drawn imaginary line in sky
& taken photos from outside edge at 45 degrees...
Well the rangers are either not telling you the truth are did not understand your question . may they though you wanted to take off and land in the park . but outside you can and fly over their real estate they do not control the air space been that way always . Have never seen it stated in this forum

Both. NPS has never indicated at all that they controlled airspace. They have actually been right on mark the whole time. Most state parks will be on mark as well.

I can only say it one way: I've been told by chief ranger no entering park airspace.
What has been "on the mark" ???

Parks do not control airspace but can claim wildlife annoyance regardless of
any evidence???!!! Mosquitoes killed by propellers???!!!!!!!

I can only say it one way: I've been told by chief ranger no entering park airspace.
your chief ranger does't know the laws then and is passing on false info . plan and simple they do not control the airspace over the parks .

Would be interested in hearing from those who've flown into national & state park airspace
after taking off at edge of parks. Especially those who had encounters with rangers whilst
flying or shorly after. Were ranger just checking take-off & landing spots? Claiming violation?
Did they claim wildlife disturbance?

Emailed Everglades National Park & got quick response -- AM GOBSMACKED!!!:
(apparently it was NOT chief ranger who said otherwise a few weeks ago)

"Thanks for reaching out to us for clarification. The drone is allowed to be flown over park land. Here is a bullet list to clear things up:
  1. You cannot be within park property while operating the drone
  2. The drone cannot touch down inside the park boundaries (no landing or taking off)
  3. You cannot disturb wildlife or create a hazard for people or wildlife (it's recommended that all aircraft, to include drones, fly no lower than 500 feet above any object). (i.e. there is no NPS violation for flying below 500 feet, but if you flew 150 feet over a nesting bird colony and created a disturbance; there is a violation for harassing wildlife).
I'm not suggesting anything by pointing out #3, only making sure you fully understand.

Have a good day and thanks again for seeking clarification.

STAY SAFE!
Mike Michener
Chief Ranger
Everglades National Park
w: (305) 242-7739
c: (305) 297-0026
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph..."-Thomas Paine

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM, EVER Information, NPS <[email protected]> wrote:
Mike,

Do you have any clarification to offer on this?

Thank you!
Everglades & Dry Tortugas National Park
Reception Desk
40001 State Road 9336
Homestead, FL 33034-6733
Office

(305)-242-7700
[email protected]
[email protected]"

(of course, the 500ft suggestion is countered by 400ft hobbyist limit)

Would be interested in hearing from those who've flown into national & state park airspace
after taking off at edge of parks. Especially those who had encounters with rangers whilst
flying or shorly after. Were ranger just checking take-off & landing spots? Claiming violation?
Did they claim wildlife disturbance?
Really??? all rangers haha

The official statements from the NPS. I think it goes back to 2015 when most people were not sure of the legal issues on airspace. The official statement from the NPS was right on the money, they don't govern the airspace over their parks, only the use of their land.

Parks do not control airspace but can claim wildlife annoyance regardless of any evidence???!!!
They claim it has happened. There are videos of people chasing animals, such as horses. I don't think those video were from NPS land but those people thought little enough of it to post them on YouTube. The issue, according to the NPS, is that newly born animals can become separated from their mothers and they can more easily die off. I'm not supporting the NPS bann, I'm simply stating their view on the matter. The issue has been beat to death in a lot of threads.

Emailed Everglades National Park & got quick response -- AM GOBSMACKED!!!:
(apparently it was NOT chief ranger who said otherwise a few weeks ago)

"Thanks for reaching out to us for clarification. The drone is allowed to be flown over park land. Here is a bullet list to clear things up:
  1. You cannot be within park property while operating the drone
  2. The drone cannot touch down inside the park boundaries (no landing or taking off)
  3. You cannot disturb wildlife or create a hazard for people or wildlife (it's recommended that all aircraft, to include drones, fly no lower than 500 feet above any object). (i.e. there is no NPS violation for flying below 500 feet, but if you flew 150 feet over a nesting bird colony and created a disturbance; there is a violation for harassing wildlife).
I'm not suggesting anything by pointing out #3, only making sure you fully understand.

Have a good day and thanks again for seeking clarification.

STAY SAFE!
Mike Michener
Chief Ranger
Everglades National Park
w: (305) 242-7739
c: (305) 297-0026
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph..."-Thomas Paine

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM, EVER Information, NPS <[email protected]> wrote:
Mike,

Do you have any clarification to offer on this?

Thank you!
Everglades & Dry Tortugas National Park
Reception Desk
40001 State Road 9336
Homestead, FL 33034-6733
Office

(305)-242-7700
[email protected]
[email protected]"

(of course, the 500ft suggestion is countered by 400ft hobbyist limit)

As @tcope stated, there is no fixed AGL limit for hobbyists (Part 101). There is a hard 400 ft AGL limit for Part 107 operations.

https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/files/2016/07/FAA-400feet.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT