FAA vs Local Drone Regulations

Reaction score
On July 20 2018, The FAA issued a press release in my opinion states that local authorities cannot limit flights over either public or private property. The local authority can limit where the UAS take off or lands. Anyone have any contacts with local authorities concerning this?

Attachments

• Press Release – FAA Statement–Federal vs. Local Drone Authority.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 163
The trouble is that references the 2015 State and Local Regulation of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Fact Sheet (https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/policy_library/media/UAS_Fact_Sheet_Final.pdf), and it has very vague language. We're trying to get the FAA's legal team to re-write it.

So even with the newer press release (which is nice for sure), we still don't have the language we need from the FAA when it comes to fighting local regulations.

On July 20 2018, The FAA issued a press release in my opinion states that local authorities cannot limit flights over either public or private property. The local authority can limit where the UAS take off or lands. Anyone have any contacts with local authorities concerning this?
As far as contacts, what location are you looking at? We (DSPA) deal with this across the country. You can reach out at [email protected]

Reactions: DoomMeister
As far as contacts, what location are you looking at? We (DSPA) deal with this across the country. You can reach out at [email protected]
Thanks for reaching out. I had never heard of dspa prior to this, I'll certainly check you out. I am in the panhandle of Florida. Florida only has a handful of locales that have written rules beyond FL statues.

Speaking of this, any more input from our friends in West Hollywood, California regarding their overreaching regs?

I am questioning the same thing about Federal Parks and Historic Sites. When you are able to communicate with the FAA rule makers, and if the regulation is how we believe it is supposed to be, then it would be nice if the FAA would contact the Department of the Interior or National Park Service.

Speaking of this, any more input from our friends in West Hollywood, California regarding their overreaching regs?
They never got back to me. Even after a follow up email.

I think they'd rather ignore it unless you're local.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20