Third party antenna range mods. A question.

Reaction score
I am sure this question has been asked ad nauseam but I have been considering a range mod with the RC but one thing keeps escaping me and it's making me nuts.

That is, if there is a better antenna to be had, and that's been the case for a long time, why in God's name is DJI not implementing at least a version of it?

For example, the 32 channel mod. If there wasn't a reason (FCC) as to why the Go App can't use the other channels other than the ISM 8 channels, I would ask "why DJI don't you use all 32 channels" but I know why they don't.

Find it hard to believe that they just don't know how. Also, I've heard different results all over and that's how it is with my non-modified RC.

I don't need 6 miles but I do need strong 300-400 meters and if a mod will help me get that, than great. In the valley where there is no interference, I've got 2 miles and then turned around but I can't do that at the park in Burbank.

So, should I get a mod? And if so, why is DJI not making antennas that are as good as some of these mods? I mean if someone can at their house or warehouse can figure out how to make a good mod, then wonderful but why would some of the greatest engineers and designers for things like this in the world at DJI R&D not be able to?

I can't get past that apparent fact.

I am sure this question has been asked ad nauseam but I have been considering a range mod with the RC but one thing keeps escaping me and it's making me nuts.

That is, if there is a better antenna to be had, and that's been the case for a long time, why in God's name is DJI not implementing at least a version of it?

For example, the 32 channel mod. If there wasn't a reason (FCC) as to why the Go App can't use the other channels other than the ISM 8 channels, I would ask "why DJI don't you use all 32 channels" but I know why they don't.

Find it hard to believe that they just don't know how. Also, I've heard different results all over and that's how it is with my non-modified RC.

I don't need 6 miles but I do need strong 300-400 meters and if a mod will help me get that, than great. In the valley where there is no interference, I've got 2 miles and then turned around but I can't do that at the park in Burbank.

So, should I get a mod? And if so, why is DJI not making antennas that are as good as some of these mods? I mean if someone can at their house or warehouse can figure out how to make a good mod, then wonderful but why would some of the greatest engineers and designers for things like this in the world at DJI R&D not be able to?

You will find it is due primarily to DJI's requirement to meet and pass certification by FCC and authorities in other jurisdictions.

In the 2.4ghz band there is a max EIRP (Tx power + antenna gain - Tx to antenna cable loss). It's almost certain DJI could not get the controller complied with these high gain antenna.

You will find it is due primarily to DJI's requirement to meet and pass certification by FCC and authorities in other jurisdictions.

In the 2.4ghz band there is a max EIRP (Tx power + antenna gain - Tx to antenna cable loss). It's almost certain DJI could not get the controller complied with these high gain antenna.
Ahh. So it is the same logic as the 32 channel. Makes sense I suppose but if they are not doing anything illegal and they will sell more, what do they care? Are they just thinking of the future and their ability to survive? I would guess so.

Technically any user modification to the Tx is illegal in the U.S. Some are allowed with proper licensing (Amateur Radio).
I imagine its similar in other countries.

For example people ask: Why not have the antennas use a standard mount (SMA, BNC, etc.) for easy upgrade?... Because its not allowed for Part 15 acceptance and wouldn't obtain the FCC Grant of Authorization.

Reactions: Jussaguy

Let me say this again.

I already had a GL300B with the DBS mod when I bought my P4. Use it, and not the P4 remote. Due to all the lost and what not I did my own test, and in 5 minutes knew I wouldn't be using the stock one again. The stock remote sapped the fun right out of flying for me, it was too much work and worry to always be pointing the antennas perfectly or I'd lose signal.
So, besides this battery deal where apple and DJI buyers are getting deals on batteries but not us Best Buy buyers, really has pissed me off, and I just might trade the whole sucker in tomorrow for a Typhoon H.
Which will leave me with an awesome 300B that's modded, has the upgraded yoke (aluminum bracket) the heavy duty cables, and the DBS Itlite antenna mod. It also has the old antennas. I won't sell it until at least a couple weeks after buying the Yuneec, because I might have to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
829ed9e1b81a0619a3753a7b34a93997.jpg

If you don't like the P4 remote then you will really be depressed with the Typhoon H. Way less range, half the speed and shorter battery life. Have fun!!!

Reactions: Marc Hufnagel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20