Thinking of switching to a Spektrum Dx8 - Comments?

Reaction score
After my fly away last weekend, I got some recommendations from some users.

The predominant one was to switch radios and Tx/Rx on the Phantom to something better. The suggestions were the Futuba 8J, but my local hobby shop recommends the DX8. It is of course the unit they stock. It is more expensive too.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone done this? Did it make your flying experience better?

THanks

Darren

I'm very happy with my 8J. The one thing I've heard is that the Xt/RC unit that goes into the Phantom needs to be compatible with the NAZ. I know some folks who bought the 14 channel version and it wouldn't work with the NAZ firmware.

Regards,

Todd

Thanks,

I plan on replacing the TX in the actual Phantom too. I don't feel anymore that the Phantom Tx/Rx combo is reliable enough to guarantee control.

D

Are you only going to be flying the Phantom?
If so I'd say the dx6 or dx7 tx's would be all you'd need, and either is less expensive than the dx8 line.
The dx7 will allow you to add telemetry if you wish, the dx6 wont' - but either would run the Phantom AND your gimbal.
In my opinion the DX8 is more than you'd need, unless of course you plan on adding other helicopters or RC planes your collection.
You can get the dx6 on line for $129 US.

I made the decision to go to the DX7, mostly due to the telemetry.

Then, I went to the store, and priced out the telemetry options, and by the time I added that, it was the same price.

So, I bought the big dog, the DX 8.

The other reason was because there are great how to videos on line for the DX8, not so many on the DX7.

It's only money. If I work really hard, I can get it all back :lol: :lol:

Please let us know how this works out for you! I'd really like to prevent these fly aways from happening to me at any cost, but I don't want to spend $450 on a new controller considering I only have a phantom right now. and btw, does anyone know how easy these are to hook up to the phantom? is it plug and play, or is it wire splicing and a lot of programming the controller?

I have always had an interest in RC helicopters, but the phantom is the first one I've felt comfortable spending the money on, so I'm still pretty scared.

As a camera guy, the best analogy to compare the two systems is like comparing Canon to Nikon, both systems are good, and have their fans. (I'm Futaba, tho I didn't do much research, got it mostly because it seemed to be the most popular for Phantom, but seems people are quite pleased with Spectum's as well).

6 channels is all you need solely to fly the Phantom,
but you need 7 in order to do the gimbal tilt town or remote gains.

but in my case,. I wanted to do tilt AND roll with my gimbal, so 8 channels was a must.
(I probably would have gone for even more if it was cost effective,. but it was $280 vs $450, just a bit too extreme a jump for me from the basic Phantom Tx!)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj